Why Import RGB Images into InDesign and Convert to CMYK on Export

Started by Syphon, December 11, 2014, 09:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

Found this article on G+ and wonder what you think.
Why You Should Import RGB Images Into InDesign and Convert to CMYK On Export

I never tried the Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers) as they suggest in the article.
We tend to "fix" the crappy InDesign file the client sent before we go any further including converting RGB photos to CMYK.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

StudioMonkey

I stopped converting to CMYK in PhotoShop ages ago, mainly because I was getting a ton of work for a digital press and couldn't be arsed.  Besides, the quality seemed OK most of the time (not doing really high quality jobs).  I figured the Convert to Destination was doing the job well enough.  

I have to say, though, sometimes I have to convert simply because the photos come out too saturated (especially greens).
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

DCurry

I've been a fan of the method described in that article for several years now. At my last gig, my coworker, who was otherwise one of the best prepress people I have worked with in person, wasn't up to speed on the issue and so would waste time converting images to CMYK, then updating the links. As a book printer, sometimes that could be hundreds of images. When a similar job came across my desk, I used the Convert upon Export method and spent no extra time at all, and the results are identical.

At my current shop, I don't convert anything - we let Prinergy handle the conversions (although I believe it is set up to use AdobeRGB as the source profile default for untagged images, which can result in skin tones being too red. I would prefer it to default to sRGB, since that's a lowest common denominator among people who don't know what they're doing.)
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on December 12, 2014, 07:55:17 AMI've been a fan of the method described in that article for several years now. At my last gig, my coworker, who was otherwise one of the best prepress people I have worked with in person, wasn't up to speed on the issue and so would waste time converting images to CMYK, then updating the links. As a book printer, sometimes that could be hundreds of images. When a similar job came across my desk, I used the Convert upon Export method and spent no extra time at all, and the results are identical.

At my current shop, I don't convert anything - we let Prinergy handle the conversions (although I believe it is set up to use AdobeRGB as the source profile default for untagged images, which can result in skin tones being too red. I would prefer it to default to sRGB, since that's a lowest common denominator among people who don't know what they're doing.)

I didn't realize you worked with DCS! :rotf:

Ditto on letting Prinergy convert them. I very rarely convert anything in Photoshop. 99.9% of the time Prinergy does as good or better than Photoshop. I even tell customers not to use the "Convert to Destination" on export from InDesign. I always tell them to use the PDF X-4 settings but to change the image compression to ZIP. It uses "No color conversion" for its output settings.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I've been letting Prinergy do the converting basically since we got it. Only on rare occasions has it been an issue.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Quote from: Joe on December 12, 2014, 09:29:36 AM
Quote from: DCurry on December 12, 2014, 07:55:17 AMI've been a fan of the method described in that article for several years now. At my last gig, my coworker, who was otherwise one of the best prepress people I have worked with in person, wasn't up to speed on the issue and so would waste time converting images to CMYK, then updating the links. As a book printer, sometimes that could be hundreds of images. When a similar job came across my desk, I used the Convert upon Export method and spent no extra time at all, and the results are identical.

He has been absent... busy organizing a holiday Postscript revival party. So busy, he doesn't even have a free hand.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Ear on December 12, 2014, 11:08:21 AM
Quote from: Joe on December 12, 2014, 09:29:36 AM

He has been absent... busy organizing a holiday Postscript revival party. So busy, he doesn't even have a free hand.

Probably using PageMaker 5 on OS 9 to make the invitations. ;D

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Ear

Oh for sure. But he will begrudgingly dissect PDFs in Illustrator.

David

Quote from: Ear on December 12, 2014, 12:13:10 PMOh for sure. But he will begrudgingly dissect PDFs in Illustrator.
then place them in Freehand...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

And then he'll give us a test on it :laugh: 

is it Give DCS a hard time day? :laugh:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on December 12, 2014, 01:44:03 PMAnd then he'll give us a test on it :laugh:

:lmao:

Quote from: Tracy on December 12, 2014, 01:44:03 PMis it Give DCS a hard time day? :laugh:

Well he keeps disappearing so yes it is.

Ear

Speaking his name in vain is like a DCS dog whistle. It should draw him out of hiding.