FTP download speed

Started by frailer, December 19, 2011, 04:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

needed to download a 750 MB file, from in-house dezingers. Time's kinda tight in showbiz; heat's on me here to get it into XMF. Got the signal it's on the site. Start download... 120KBits/sec. = 1 hour 48 mins estimated. GRRR...
Decide on a whim to abort, reconnect. now downloading at ~600 MBits/sec. >> 22 mins estimated.
OK the speed varies a little during download, but... is the ballpark speed of the pipe pretty much determined at time of hook-up, depending on traffic? someone may know the inner workings of FTProtocol. Curious, mainly, but shall certainly try a re-hookup again on a slow one.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Depends throughout the download on a number of the things including your connection, the connection at the other end and the connection of any server between the two. It's all a complicated crap shoot.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

it has something to do with elves, I'm positive.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on December 19, 2011, 06:29:02 PMit has something to do with elves, I'm positive.

Maybe squirrels too.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

it's all a series of tubes, you know....

some of the tubes may be slightly clogged at times...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Sneaky squirrels with clogged pipes?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

I'm thinking more like pipes clogged with squeaky squirrels, damn things get everywhere.
vdp donkey

frailer

Quote from: t-pat on December 20, 2011, 05:12:41 PMI'm thinking more like pipes clogged with squeaky squirrels, damn things get everywhere.

Now it's starting to make sense.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on December 20, 2011, 05:58:02 PM
Quote from: t-pat on December 20, 2011, 05:12:41 PMI'm thinking more like pipes clogged with squeaky squirrels, damn things get everywhere.

Now it's starting to make sense.

you don't have squirrels down there do you? I don't remember squirrels. Damn.
vdp donkey

frailer

We have effin' bandicoots. Dig holes in your lawn in the dead of night.

t-pat

Quote from: frailer on December 20, 2011, 06:20:29 PMWe have effin' bandicoots. Dig holes in your lawn in the dead of night.

Cute but nothing like Treeus Ratticus, aka the n. American squrl. They are a living cartoon. They taunt cats and dogs, and old people feed them. Sometimes there will develop a colony of black ones. Those ones are extra scary.
vdp donkey

pspdfppdfxhd

I always say it's like going down the highway... sometimes it's busy and sometimes you motor. If they crash, well you know what happens then.

But the fonts are like wide load trucks and can really slow things down. They used to be anyways, not sure if that's still true.

DigiCorn

We currently have squirrels and gophers living in our yard. My old house in the Bay Area had possums, skunks and raccoons, in addition to the squirrels... no gophers there, tho.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

I got some rats if anybody needs one or two, or three.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

NefariousDrO

Quote from: t-pat on December 21, 2011, 12:48:16 AM
Quote from: frailer on December 20, 2011, 06:20:29 PMWe have effin' bandicoots. Dig holes in your lawn in the dead of night.

Cute but nothing like Treeus Ratticus, aka the n. American squrl. They are a living cartoon. They taunt cats and dogs, and old people feed them. Sometimes there will develop a colony of black ones. Those ones are extra scary.

My friend says that squirrels are the kind of crazy that sits in a tree and screams "I'll Cut you!!" at everything that passes by.