A new one on me...

Started by determined, April 08, 2009, 10:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

determined

OK, so I got a CMYK mode .psd file with a spot color and black. The customer made the black channel a spot channel named "black". Didn't really think about that too much (as far as putting the spot "black" into the CMYK black channel). But I did change it to a multichannel (since I couldn't place the psd file into Indesign because of the spot), and saved it as a DCS2 file. This is what I was supplied....
Murphy must have been in printing....

determined

After saving, I reopened it (needed to trap it) and this is what I saw....(strangely enough, it ripped fine)

determined

However, I opened the original again, did NOT change the mode to multichannel, just saved it as a DCS2 and everything was fine....

I should note that PS put the spot K channel into the K channel on it's own, I had to eliminate the CMY channels and reverse the order of the spot and K manually.

DCurry

Why did you need to use DCS2? You should be able to place a PSD with spot channels into ID no problem - I do it all the time. Perhaps a RIP consideration? I know my RIP won't handle spot PSDs if I feed it postscript. If I feed it PDF, it works.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

determined

determined

Sooooooo.....apparently this is a new one on everybody??? I feel like I've won STUMP THE STARS!!!   :laugh:

Joe

I can't make out the channels in your screen shots so I'm not entirely clear what you mean? The first one looks to be CMYK + 2 spots. The 2nd  I don't know and the 3rd appears to be just two spots? Can you put up better screen shots that we can see?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

determined

I can try, but the size restriction was working against me...I tried saving as jpeg but I had to lower the image size along with the quality...but you are correct, the first is a PMS color and the Black as a spot color. The second was Photoshop putting the spot K into the K channel. Let me try to work on getting better images....

determined

Is there any other way to reduce the size of my images? As soon as I open them in PS, they grow by leaps and bounds. If I don't open them, they're alot smaller but still not small enough to post....HELP?   :shocked:

determined

OK, here's the first one....

Ear

Very strange. InDesign lets me place duotone, saved as PSD with no problems.  :huh: What happens if you ignore the warning, place the Duo PSD, export and RIP? Live on the edge, that's what I say.  :wink: Of course, I didn't walk for the last 2 months because of that philosophy. :rolleyes:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

beermonster

see - for SPOT read pantone -         there's no "black" - sure there's PANTONE black whatever..but it aint named right

it doesnt like a SPOT black as it cant map it from  a lut

now if you recolored the spot "black" chanel to summat named in the pantone book it wiill place just fine

then again i've had a few beers so waddo i know
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Joe

Quote from: determined on April 08, 2009, 03:29:26 PMIs there any other way to reduce the size of my images? As soon as I open them in PS, they grow by leaps and bounds. If I don't open them, they're alot smaller but still not small enough to post....HELP?   :shocked:

As it looks like you've discovered, PNG files seem to work good.

I made up a new file exactly as your channels show and I get the same error in InDesign. I think InDesign does not like having two channels named "Black" or it does not like having a spot channel named "Black". When I renamed the spot channel named "Black" to "Pantone Black C", InDesign imports it without any issues.

Edit: Beermonster just beat me to the punch! :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Chilbear

How about saving the PSD as a PDF and you should see the 6 colours in the output preview window in Acrobat. Can you not map the Pantone to process and the 6th colour "black" to K from CMYK?

determined

OK, sorry about the interruption, had some work to do (dammit) but this is the part I wanted to show you...note the image (this is when I made it multichannel and saved as a DCS)...very unusual, just wondering if anybody has seen anything like this b4....pardon the pun   :laugh: