20 years of Photoshop

Started by jezza, February 02, 2010, 08:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jezza

Next week, Photoshop is 20 years old, here's a pretty good look at it, though I must confess I haven't read it all

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/02/20-years-of-adobe-photoshop/
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Great link, jez. Really put the whole thing in a timeline. What was amazing was seeing Russell Brown's name among the 4 listed for v1.0.7. No wonder the guy's a bit of a whizz.

Oh yeah, the Knolls. Freaky family. Am guessing there was a poor Mrs. Knoll slaving away in the background...'sorry Mum, can't wash-up tonight; got a few routines to write.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Skryber

That's neat. I started with Photoshop 4 or 5 in highschool.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

thanks Jez!

cool stuff, although I'm not old enough to remember most of the older versions...

:laugh:

almost
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Quote from: david on February 03, 2010, 12:23:42 PMthanks Jez!

cool stuff, although I'm not old enough to remember most of the older versions...

almost

Some emerging issues with encroaching old age, david?    :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

David

it's the gray encroaching into my brain, possibly...

that or too much margarita.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Quote from: Skryber on February 03, 2010, 12:22:29 PMThat's neat. I started with Photoshop 4 or 5 in highschool.

puppy.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Remember Image and Color Studio G? How 'bout Photoshop 1? Those were the days, eh? Back when apps came on 2 or 3 floppies instead of 15 dual-layer DVDs.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

You guys have a history I don't have. Through the 90s we got all our film in; though we used to bench-combine ads into editorial. Pretty skint through that period, kids little and all. And a Mac+Adobe cost an arm and a leg then, so no homey stuff. Well, a proportionately bigger arm and leg.   :undecided:

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 03, 2010, 07:01:41 PMRemember Image and Color Studio G? How 'bout Photoshop 1? Those were the days, eh? Back when apps came on 2 or 3 floppies instead of 15 dual-layer DVDs.

YOU are the first prepress person I have ever heard mention Color Studio. You were just made member #1 in Joe's prepress Hall of Fame. Every time I mention Color Studio from the old Mac LC from around 1988 - 1992 everyone gives me the "deer in the headlights" look.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on February 03, 2010, 07:48:08 PMeveryone gives me the "deer in the headlights" look.

DCS will give you that look regardless.    :laugh:

hotmetal

I'm getting so tired of remembering all this stuff, I hope someday I can actually not remember anything whatsoever about it!

:drunk:
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 03, 2010, 07:01:41 PMRemember Image and Color Studio G? How 'bout Photoshop 1? Those were the days, eh? Back when apps came on 2 or 3 floppies instead of 15 dual-layer DVDs.

Ahh, installing Quark, Illustrator, Freehand, PageMaker, MS Office and Photoshop off of floppy onto 30 first gen powermacs ... those were the days!

jezza

I think I came in at Photoshop 3, i certainly remember the splash screen and I was definitely getting stuff on press with Quark.

I kind of agree with Hotmetal though  :laugh:
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Quote from: hotmetal on February 03, 2010, 09:01:44 PMI'm getting so tired of remembering all this stuff, I hope someday I can actually not remember anything whatsoever about it!

:drunk:

I guess the bits I'm lucky I missed are the overnight RIP'ing of PostScript files, that the equivalent job today would take minutes. Maybe 15 years ago. When did it start to get better? I'm curious. It was about CPUs/memory/$$$, correct? How some bureaux got ROI, from the stories I hear, is a miracle, so it seems.