Vectors from Photoshop

Started by WharfRat, June 26, 2013, 06:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WharfRat

I know about getting vector files out of PS.
-
Yesterday I was playing around with trying to get vector "Smart Objects" out of PS.
I created the Smart Object and could open it through Photoshop in Illustrator - edit it and have it return to PS updated
but
when I saved as a Photoshop PDF (PDP)
all of my type retained the vectors but the smart object always ended up rasterized.
-
Does anyone know the procedure for smart objects retaining vectors out of PS?

MSD

Possum

I don't think Photoshop saves smart objects as vectors when saving as a PDF. I couldn't find anything that said it did or didn't, but it seems to treat smart objects as something that allows editing without loss of data in PS. Once you change the file to something else, all bets are off.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

It actually rasterizes the type too but creates a clipping mask around it to retain the high resolution edge. I'd say if you want to retain anything as vector to stay in Illustrator.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Skryber

Quote from: Joe on June 26, 2013, 10:35:14 AMIt actually rasterizes the type too but creates a clipping mask around it to retain the high resolution edge. I'd say if you want to retain anything as vector to stay in Illustrator.

I'm always fiddely f#$%ing around with smart objects in PS and come to the same conclusion.

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DigiCorn

Are you sure? I know that if you have layers of text and save it to pdf as layers, it will retain the font which can be edited with Pitstop. I would assume it would do the same with smart object placed pdfs.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 26, 2013, 11:02:14 AMAre you sure? I know that if you have layers of text and save it to pdf as layers, it will retain the font which can be edited with Pitstop. I would assume it would do the same with smart object placed pdfs.

I've never seen that be the case with a Photoshop PDF.

DigiCorn

Really? They you're missing out on all the fun!  :sarcasm:

It works, but you have to save it the right way.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Just tried one in Photoshop with two lines of text in 2 different layers. Saved as PDF and this is what the font info shows in Acrobat on the resulting PDF. And it isn't selectable as text by Pitstop.

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 26, 2013, 11:16:04 AMReally? They you're missing out on all the fun!  :sarcasm:

It works, but you have to save it the right way.

Please enlighten me then.

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

You have to cross your eyes and crook your left elbow when saving. Crossing your toes doesn't hurt, either.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: Skryber on June 26, 2013, 11:24:29 AMIs it outlining?

Not really as it creates a clipping mask around the type. The fill is an image at the DPI the file is created at which is 300 dpi in this case but the clipping mask gives it a high res edge which will be 2400 dpi at output (for CTP).

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on June 26, 2013, 11:42:20 AM
Quote from: Skryber on June 26, 2013, 11:24:29 AMIs it outlining?

Not really as it creates a clipping mask around the type. The fill is an image at the DPI the file is created at which is 300 dpi in this case but the clipping mask gives it a high res edge which will be 2400 dpi at output (for CTP).
oh. maybe that's what it does then. fooled me.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 26, 2013, 11:48:46 AMhere you go

That is the way I created the PDF too.

Notice what you have selected.