APPLE Security Update 2012-001 -- DO NOT INSTALL

Started by JMC, February 02, 2012, 12:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMC

FYI
Do not install Apples latest security update issued yesterday... It breaks  print dialogs as well as file save dialogs in Rosetta Applications... these includes the Print dialog in Preps 5 which renders it useless.

frailer

The one time I actually install on the knocker.   :rolleyes:  Just checked my PhSh Print Dialogue for Epson 7900. Seems OK. The only >Print I have to worry about, fortunately. Quick fix to follow from Apple, I assume? Where is most howling being done about this?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 02, 2012, 03:57:13 PMThe one time I actually install on the knocker.   :rolleyes:  Just checked my PhSh Print Dialogue for Epson 7900. Seems OK. The only >Print I have to worry about, fortunately. Quick fix to follow from Apple, I assume? Where is most howling being done about this?

Apple is about as quick as Kodak on quick fixes.

Only affects Rosetta applications. Who cares? :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

Hmmm...  most of us have luckily been able to bury the Rosetta Stone.   :azn:

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on February 02, 2012, 04:47:54 PM
Quote from: frailer on February 02, 2012, 03:57:13 PMThe one time I actually install on the knocker.   :rolleyes:  Just checked my PhSh Print Dialogue for Epson 7900. Seems OK. The only >Print I have to worry about, fortunately. Quick fix to follow from Apple, I assume? Where is most howling being done about this?

Ok Mr. I just got Lion. I'm still holding on to Preps 5 here.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on February 02, 2012, 06:29:28 PM

I had to pry it from the cold clammy fingers of about 5 prepress operators over the last few weeks. Still have one girl with a death grip on Snow Leopard and Preps 5. She's going on maternity leave soon though. I'll strike while she's away. :laugh:

frailer

The Grim Reaper of Change....   :laugh:  Take a digisnap of her face when she tries to find/boot PREPS 5.    > Upload.   :evil: 

Farabomb

If I could get 3 minutes to try it out I might. If there are no jobs to work on I get to do everything else in the place except prepress maintenance and advancement.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on February 02, 2012, 11:14:03 PM

I had to pry it from the cold clammy fingers of about 5 prepress operators over the last few weeks. Still have one girl with a death grip on Snow Leopard and Preps 5. She's going on maternity leave soon though. I'll strike while she's away. :laugh:
Does Lion fix the issue with Rampage? Or does it just create new problems with CS5, etc.? How goes it?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

From the GUA forums:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 03, 2012, 09:23:25 AM

From the GUA forums:

The Security update issue is not a 10.7.3 update problem. The security update is the update for OS 10.6.8.

Lion has no Rosetta so there is no issue with doing the 10.7.3 update other than the update from the Mac OS software update thing-a-ma-bob is defective. For anyone wanting to apply the 10.7.3 update you really should download the 1.2 gb combo update which is not defective. This issue does not affect all users but some find their Mac unusable after updating to 10.7.3 using the Apple software update.

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 03, 2012, 09:10:21 AM
Quote from: Joe on February 02, 2012, 11:14:03 PM

Does Lion fix the issue with Rampage? Or does it just create new problems with CS5, etc.? How goes it?

The only issue I've had with Lion is I can't run any old PPC apps. Solved the FileMaker issue by upgrading to version 11. Preps 5 is a little more painful but soon to embark  on a Preps 6 adventure.

DigiCorn

[redacted]
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway