Dell PowerEdge R730 RAID

Started by Joe, February 14, 2019, 07:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Yes they can do the restore remotely if it gets screwed up but they will not do the procedure remotely.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

Quote from: Joe on February 18, 2019, 10:53:57 AMYes they can do the restore remotely if it gets screwed up but they will not do the procedure remotely.

Seriously???? oooohhh okay....
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

OK I did this over the weekend exactly the way the Kodak support person told me to do it. Also did a manual backup of the Oracle DB using the Oracle Snapshot DB backup tool. I booted to a live Linux installation and copied everything to an external drive including the Oracle database. Once I added the drives and converted the RAID I found that it didn't extend the partition to give me the extra space. I was going to expand via the Windows disk management but it wouldn't give me all of the space. So I went back and deleted the Virtual Disk and recreated it which does destroy all data on the drive then I formatted the new virtual disk as NTFS and gained all the space. Then booted back into the live Linux installation and copied everything back. then booted back into Prinergy and Prinergy would not start giving errors it couldn't connect to the database so I had to create a support case with Kodak for Monday morning. They logged in and had it up in running in less than 30 minutes. What the first Kodak person failed to tell me is the Oracle database has files on both the C drive (system drive) and the J drive (data drive which is where the expansion took place) and the time stamps have to be the same for both. So it turned out not to be a big issue but it didn't stop me from having heart failure for a day and a half worrying that I had hosed the database waiting for the Monday morning support call.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.