Working from Home / Coronavirus

Started by StudioMonkey, March 20, 2020, 05:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioMonkey

I was already walking 45mins to work so I didn't have to get the bus but self isolating has made us think again.  The boss is diabetic and I have immune system issues since chemo so we took the decision to close the shop to visitors and I took my work mac home.
We've actually been quite busy the last 3 days but IDK how long that's going to last.  I'm in touch with the boss via WhatsApp and picking up work emails so I can do the work here at home with no problems.  Most of our customers are in contact on email and I can keep in touch with them by phone too if necessary.
I send any print jobs back to our shop via Dropbox and the boss is there to run the printing side.  Deliveries by overnight courier so no change there either. 
So far the impact on the business has been minimal.  So far. 
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

motormount

There is 90% drop here, most of the people got sent home for a couple of weeks, and that's just the beginning.
Phones almost stopped ringing, we are prrinting /binding previous week's last orders and Monday morning we'll be looking at each other - or do some cleaning -

Still i don't like working from home.

I've done it once i hurt my leg and it went all wrong - and i'm not talking about job mistakes -

I don't like messing work with family, getting job calls when i'm playin with the kids or jammin with friends, or when i'm doing my own stuff.

It's not that i won't answer or help, but i like getting paid when i'm working and till now i never got paid right offering my services out of the shop.

I'm afraid though that's this is were things are going - with or without viruses - and and don't like the way western society's will evolve in the near future...

Joe

I wish they would let me work from home. When you think about it....it is really mind blowing at how many people you come into contact with during the work day.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

We've been trying to have minimal contact for a few weeks now, sort of ahead of mandates... and it IS mindblowing how much exposure you get even when trying for zero!
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Yeah that is kind of what I meant as I never thought of it before we started the minimal contact thing. Some one asks you about something on their screen and you just by habit lean over to look at it. Oops....contaminated both ways!

David

I've taken to walking around the shop and take a Lysol wipe to everything I touch...
keyboard, mouse (on several computers), chairs, tables, door handles, time clock...

damn, gonna need a bigger web to write all this down..

:hangme:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Quote from: Joe on March 20, 2020, 09:21:25 AM
Yeah that is kind of what I meant as I never thought of it before we started the minimal contact thing. Some one asks you about something on their screen and you just by habit lean over to look at it. Oops....contaminated both ways!
Exactly! It's like in our brains the danger only comes from strangers?

@david - me too! especially shared areas and items, first thing I do each morning now. And other folks doing it as well.
Better twice than not at all©

Joe

Right on my desk.

DCurry

My shop has been divided into 2 teams - Team A is in the shop for 2 weeks, while Team B works remotely (if possible - obviously bindery and press crew can't work remotely). Each team has key players in all departments so everything is covered.

Then after 2 weeks we'll switch. We just finished Week 1 and it's been fine in the shop, but the work really dropped off so there isn't much for the remote team to do at this point.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

born2print

David

Quote from: DCurry on March 20, 2020, 02:07:35 PM
My shop has been divided into 2 teams - Team A is in the shop for 2 weeks, while Team B works remotely (if possible - obviously bindery and press crew can't work remotely). Each team has key players in all departments so everything is covered.

Then after 2 weeks we'll switch. We just finished Week 1 and it's been fine in the shop, but the work really dropped off so there isn't much for the remote team to do at this point.

Interesting...
How are they handling the pay for the remote workers?
Is it a stand-by rate or full pay as if they were in the building?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Skryber

I had to give the IT guy my key to the shop so he can come in and take care of things if Indiana gets put on shelter in place. Holcomb said we're not there yet yesterday.  :shrug:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Slappy

Quote from: DCurry on March 20, 2020, 02:07:35 PM

I suggested something similar to that this week – then they laid off 2/3 of the shop instead. I'm still on, and it's total madness even though we're down by about 80% of typical work. Don't think it will matter come Monday, Gub'ment will shut it all down before long. Then we'll see what's left to salvage from the rubble I suppose.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Possum

Quote from: david on March 20, 2020, 09:43:34 AM
I've taken to walking around the shop and take a Lysol wipe to everything I touch...
keyboard, mouse (on several computers), chairs, tables, door handles, time clock...

damn, gonna need a bigger web to

:hangme:
Don't forget the phones!
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

motormount

The virus crisis will end one way or the other, but the world will not be the same again.

It won't be the same even if the fed out there in the states or the central bank here in europe starts raining money ( which they will, but it can't and won't be enough ).

But let's be optimistic and say that in june economy will be back to december's '19 state, or lets smoke a joint and imagine that in june economy will be back to 2000, printing is getting bigger and bigger and we get a fat raise every year, or we move to the next shop.

Even with that scenario, the world as we know it will be completely different in a couple 
of months.

Most of us here are middle aged people making our living out of an ever shrinking trade.

So, i wouldn't say no to working from home to keep my job, but i'm really skeptical were this leads - in both economical and social ways.
- it won't be for our best interest -