Enfocus Pitstop 2020 - remove white lines from pdf file

Started by metlife, December 28, 2020, 02:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

How did you rasterize it? I'm thinking the rip might have a better shot.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on January 06, 2021, 10:00:57 AM
How did you rasterize it? I'm thinking the rip might have a better shot.

Just used the action to rasterize everything but text. And I only went to 300 dpi but I can't imagine it would be much better at 600 dpi and going up all the way to 2400 dpi would be major time thief.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

you have to watch the anti-aliasing as it accentuates the white lines.
but on the flipside you need the anti-aliasing to render a vector curve smoothly.
If you can send it over I can have a look.

At the end of the day I think this is just the screen representation in Acrobat.
Also the resolution in the Acrobat preferences might help, but that probably won't help the customer with what they are seeing!

DCurry

metlife - can you provide a PDF for all of us to play with? I understand there are privacy issues, but can't you get rid of any identifying copy and post the PDF? It really is your best shot at getting a good solution, or at least some insight into how different workflows might handle it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

metlife

Abc and DCurry, I've send You a mail with link to download this pdf file. It is the same file which I've send to Joe. I get rid of everything and I only left background which cause problems. Please do not distribute this file anywhere. Sorry it took some time to answer, I see that we are 6 hours apart.

DCurry

OK, I got the file and after forwarding it to everyone I know and asking them to do the same... (just joshing!)

The white lines don't show up for me in Acrobat unless I turn on the "Smooth Line Art" checkbox in Page Display preferences as referenced early in this thread.

All testing I did thru Prinergy showed that the lines don't print. I tried rasterizing to 8-bit (like we would send to our Epson proofer) and also as 1-bit (like what we would send to our platesetter) and no lines appeared.

The only way I could get the lines to appear was by rasterizing the PDF using Pitstop, or as mentioned above by clicking "Smooth Line Art" in Acrobat prefs.

Turn off that checkbox on everyone's Acrobat (yours, the guy who stopped the job, and the customer's) and you should be fine. If that's not a practical option, you may need to seek other possibilities for having your RIP generate a proof, but if that proof remains as live vectors you'll still need to change that Acrobat setting.

Joe

I even tried rasterizing the page by opening in photoshop and it enhances the white lines so I still think the best option is to make sure they are viewing it in Acrobat and turning off the "Smooth Line Art" option. I understand customers can be difficult but at some point they have to realize they may have to change their way of doing things to view complex files properly.

David

I have a similar problem with customers and acrobat.
One job we do has metallic ink under the color, which involves overprinting.
They demand a pdf proof.
To view the file correctly, you need to have overprint preview in Acrobat turned on.
I have sent them instructions (with screen captures and everything) on multiple occasions.

they refuse to do even that simple request.

oh well, on to the next job...

:facepalm:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

Screen shot  :laugh:

I usually tell them to zoom way in and the lines disappear, It's hard to explain this one to people
who just don't understand!

not sure if the lines disappear when zooming in on this file, doesn't seem like it.

metlife

Those white lines don't show up on printing, only on monitor screen. Like I said, we tried to convince our Clients and printers on our production line, but it is too difficult for them to change the appropriate settings in Acrobat. As I mentioned before, it's like talking to the wall. My 4yr old daughter seems to be smarter then Them ;) It is terrible how stubborn and stupid some people are and from year to year it is getting worse.

DCurry

In that case, I guess the job will never get printed since the client won't approve it, and even if they did your production crew won't print it. Good luck with that.

If you send your PDF proofs via email, I would suggest adding a disclaimer (you can create a custom signature that will put it on all emails) advising recipient to turn on "Overprint Preview" and turn off "Smooth Line Art." At least then you don't have to constantly tell people, and they can do what they want with the info.

abc

You know what is quite surprising, and may actually be relevant here is that the PDF Producer of this file is Distiller!

Originally I thought you said it came from ArtPro?

Looks like somewhere down the line somebody introduced the dead 20+ year old format of Postscript.

I wonder if it would be possible to export this directly to PDF, you might see an entirely different result then!

:facepalm:

metlife

Abc,
You're right, I said it was generated from ArtPro. I forgot that this file is actually generated by Distiller. My mistake that I forgot this pdf generating step. :facepalm:
I will check if I can export it to pdf file with specific settings.

Joe

joe@lehighprint.us

Just zoom way in, they will disappear, just like a double lowercase 'L' that has been converted to curves, it looks bad when zoomed out, but when you zoom way in, you see what will actually print.

If you zoom way in, you should see the lines disappear.  You can even tell your client to zoom in.