Forum > Screen

laser diode replacemant

(1/2) > >>

tiger lil:
we have a screen 8100  plate rite, thermal plate recorder  has anyone changed a laser diode in unit  without service man? If so what problems might we have.

G_Town:

--- Quote from: tiger lil on June 03, 2010, 01:06:42 PM ---
we have a screen 8100  plate rite, thermal plate recorder  has anyone changed a laser diode in unit  without service man? If so what problems might we have.

--- End quote ---

I brave but not that brave.

Stiv:
Yeah, there's no way I'm going to do that . No way Jose.

tiger lil:
I'm not going to do it myself, my boss wants to do it, he had replaced diode on film setter years ago and thinks he can fix this one. Screen used to send you the pages of service manual but now they won't do that, must need the money!!  If anyone knows where i can get a service manual that would do the trick.

Ear:
I have an PT-R 8000. I have not changed the diode myself but have sat in on many a diode change, over the shoulder of the tech. There are a LOT of things I have done myself on that machine... changing a diode isn't one of them. First, you need a terminator plug to short the diode bank out so you don't fry them. Once you have one of these, the operation looks easy enough but I have seen the techs ruin a diode or two, at their own expense. It is a delicate process... if you do it yourself and mess something up, it's a minimum of the cost of the diode ($1200 range)... assuming you don't short out a board or bump the optics, then you're really in trouble. Is it possible, yes, is it worth the risk... IMO, no.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version