Best Mac Dynamic DNS service?

Started by kermit, November 15, 2007, 08:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

I need to setup FTP server at home but I have Dynamic IP on my Fiber Optic internet access. What is the best Dynamic DNS service for the Mac. I hear of a service that pings back and changes itself if the IP changes. Just can't remember which one...
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

elmo3

kermit

Quote from: elmo3 on November 15, 2007, 10:57:14 AMDynDNS works fine.
Do you use it? How does it work? What's your setup?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

jezza

Have a look at these guys

http://www.no-ip.com/

No, I've never used them
one sick prepress mofo

kermit

Does any of you DynDNS that pings and updates my dynamic IP address on their own? Let's say I install some DynDND client software and set it up to ping for ip changes every so often... When the address is changed it will change the entry reflecting new IP?

I don't want to monitor IP myself manually.

Kalessin

You can get Mac and Windows software that will monitor your IP address and alert DynDNS when it changes. My Linksys router supports DynDNS so it's configured there.

Joe

Quote from: Kalessin on November 27, 2007, 01:31:18 PMYou can get Mac and Windows software that will monitor your IP address and alert DynDNS when it changes. My Linksys router supports DynDNS so it's configured there.

Off topic: Welcome to the forums Kalessin.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

elmo3

yes, there is software that automatically updates the routing tables as needed.  All you need is your dyndns name--"kermit.dyndns.org" or whatever, and that'll route to your current IP address.

Kalessin

kermit

Quote from: Kalessin on November 27, 2007, 01:31:18 PMYou can get Mac and Windows software that will monitor your IP address and alert DynDNS when it changes. My Linksys router supports DynDNS so it's configured there.
That's a great idea. I will get N wireless router from D-Link that has this feature.