News:

Main Menu

spinning ball

Started by jimking, November 20, 2007, 03:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

My wife just called from home and said our silver dual G4 will not boot. The big apple appears and the spinning ball just keeps spinning. I told her to try different key combos when it's booting up such as hold the shift key down or apple option or apple shift or shift option apple. She said it doesn't work. Anyone got any ideas before I go home and do the samething and it works!  ;D

David

I would start off with holding down the shift key and booting into safe mode.

then toss your finder.plist (user/home/lib/prefs/) and reboot to see if that doesn't fix "er up.

ps. You may need to hold the shift key down for a few minutes, just wait, it will happen
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

rrobinson

Corrupt font cache, perhaps?
Rob Robinson
EPP Manager
Color World Printers

Kodak Prinergy Connect 3.1.0.6 (RBA/APA) - InSite 4.5 - Preps 5.2.3 - Prepare 2.1 - Lotem 400

jimking

Quote from: rrobinson on November 20, 2007, 04:14:20 PMCorrupt font cache, perhaps?
Thanks, David I'll keep you posted and I'm sure it'll work. As far as fonts, I don't have many at all openned on the home machine, I keep my eye on'em, thanks.

Joe

Panther or Tiger. If it's Tiger it could be the Spotlight plist. It causes that exact thing to happen when it gets corrupted. Just had it happen about a week and a half ago.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jimking

Fixed it. As it turns out the shift key didn't do it, it was the apple option keys. Panther 10.3.9

David

glad you got it fixed,

you can relax now and have a good holiday!

cheers,
David
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca