Creep compensation in Section Sewn

Started by frailer, August 31, 2012, 05:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Didn't get time to ask our software tech before Friday ran over me. But in the meantime, someone may know. My P/T assistant does some freelance stuff. Saw a cattle-dog of hers printed, of about 70pp, done as a section sewn. There were folios close to the face edges which drifted towards the face and back as you move through the saddles in the book. I doubt that XMF would be able to handle creep compensation for each assembly section in the job. If it can I'll be gobsmacked.
Yes, you can set Default Creep for the job, but I wonder what happens when you split 'em in Assembly Sections for the sewn split.?   :undecided:  To play with Tuesday.(Monday promises to be a fan-driven excreta exercise, by the looks).   
Could be a feature request in the making.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

StudioMonkey

I've had so much crap trying to get software to do creep properly - or even to do what it says it's going to do.  I always do creep manually.  It's not hard and it doesn't take as long as you'd think.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Ear

I've always had great results using Sierra (XMF) imposition creep. I set the default (x) creep to a negative factor, the thickness of the paper (0.003, etc...), then set the first section to Default Creep, copy and flow pages and it works perfectly. Mostly for saddle stitch but I do have some Perfect bound that run as multiple 48pg sigs (which I assume is basically the same as sewn - correct me if I'm wrong) that I apply creep to. Once pages are flowed, each sig creeps independently, thus negating the in and out per section problem you are talking about.

Preps does a good job of creep too, though you input the total creep factor instead of the paper thickness.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

If by sewn you mean perfect bound than any imposition worth its salt will be able to do this. The key is to specify the correct binding style and the imposition will do it correctly. It just knows.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Smyth Sewn (also known as Section Sewn) is similar to perfect bound, without the grind off in the middle of the spread

Linkage:
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl?c=ACCT107430&it=I&id=84&sc=23&category
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

So, really, what's the need for creep? If the sigs are stacking, the only reason for creep is say for a small book folding multiple times per sig. In this instance, one setting would work for all encompassing signatures.
Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

I'm with Junior, the sigs stack so unless the stock is really thick or the sigs are super high pg count, I would think 0 creep?
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

He says the page numbers are visually moving in and out which tells me at the center of each section they are moving outwards and then back in at the back of the sig. Thick paper maybe?

David

when we do them here, each press form would creep just as a 16 pager, with all the forms creeping the same, regardless of the number of signatures
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Quote from: born2print on August 31, 2012, 10:39:06 AMI'm with Junior, the sigs stack so unless the stock is really thick or the sigs are super high pg count, I would think 0 creep?

If you're printing something that is 1000+ pages, you most likely do 48pg sigs... I print books like this regularly... in which case, yes, creep is pretty important or the pages dance to and fro, yo.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on August 31, 2012, 10:59:35 AM
Quote from: born2print on August 31, 2012, 10:39:06 AMI'm with Junior, the sigs stack so unless the stock is really thick or the sigs are super high pg count, I would think 0 creep?

If you're printing something that is 1000+ pages, you most likely do 48pg sigs... I print books like this regularly... in which case, yes, creep is pretty important or the pages dance to and fro, yo.

He mentioned it was about 70 pages.

Ear

Right... I'm just sayin'... there are times where creep comes in handy on perfect bound.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Reading... another task daunting for some.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

we're supposed to read this crap?

damn, there goes my weekend
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear