Delta tower not working

Started by color_prepress, October 24, 2013, 07:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

color_prepress

color_prepress
color_prepress is online now Junior Member

Default Delta tower not working

My CTF is herkules Pro.
    I using delta tower with delta rip 8 on windows 2000.
    All work well until last week the delta tower got error message come out.
    Delta Tower:error during delta tower configuration.

At start we found out is scsi harddisk problem in delta tower, so we had order a same model scsi harddisk(set the jumper correctly follow previous one) to replace it. (We even doing low level format on it and it able to format so can confirm that the harddisk is ok)
    After that we though it should be able to run but after tried, it still failed.

We had tried so many things but problem still exist. Here is the sequence that we tried.

At first replace same model of scsi harddisk into tower.
    After that we manage to get another delta tower from other people to tried but still fail.
    Then we tried switching another scsi cable that connecting delta tower to server.
    We had also tried switching another scsi card in the server that connecting server and tower.

All fail.

So any of you got any suggestion/opinion to fix it?

Epson 9600, DocuCentre 5540, Herkules Pro, PTR-8300, Trueflow SE

Joe

What is it not doing? You cannot boot the Delta?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

color_prepress

Yes, cannot boot the delta.

error in event viewer.
Delta Tower could not be started! (RB_RC_ErrMaxRepeat!
)

Joe

Quote from: color_prepress on October 24, 2013, 07:14:32 AMAt start we found out is scsi harddisk problem in delta tower, so we had order a same model scsi harddisk(set the jumper correctly follow previous one) to replace it. (We even doing low level format on it and it able to format so can confirm that the harddisk is ok)
    After that we though it should be able to run but after tried, it still failed.

So you replaced the hard drive and it won't boot as shown above in green. Will it not let you boot via the Windows 2000 disk (Boot Floppy or Boot CD) so you can install Windows?

color_prepress

I can go in win2000, no problem, but when launch the delta program, it fail at tower part.
Event list show that "delta tower could not be started! (RB_RC_ErrMax Repeat!)

At application event log, it got RecCtrlNT

It also got this in event log "The device, \Device\Rasterbox0, is not ready for access yet. "

Below are another 7 error in event log.
Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RecCtrlNT ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Service error  : 7, release pipes failed.

Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RecCtrlNT ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Service error  : 6, open pipe with number.

Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RecCtrlNT ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Service error  : 5, open pipe with number.

Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RecCtrlNT ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Service error  : 4, open pipe with number.

Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RecCtrlNT ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Service error  : 3, open pipe with number.

Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RecCtrlNT ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Service error  : 2, open pipe with number.

Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RecCtrlNT ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Service error  : 1, open pipe with number.

Joe

It's been so long since I've used a Delta so probably won't be much help but...

Once you installed the new drive and installed Windows 2000 did you use the actual Delta software installers or did you try copying it from somewhere else? The installer program actually writes information into the Windows registry and from those errors it sounds like the info that is needed in the Windows registry is missing.

color_prepress

I think you get some wrong info from my thread.
What I mean on that bad scsi harddisk that replaced is the harddisk that used by delta tower not the normal harddisk that we use in server.
The harddisk in my win2000 server is ok, nothing bad, all work well.
Only the harddisk inside the delta tower got problem that why I get a new one same model to replace it.
But even with that, the delta tower cannot initialize.
Here is the what it show out when I run the delta software.

1. 1. Generator - Intializing...
 2. 2. Interpreter - Intializing...
 3. 3. Delta Tower - Not Initialized.

Joe

Sorry for the confusion. I have no ideas other than to call Heidelberg.

DigiCorn

I never used Delta, but if it is a SCSI drive, then the install is critical. I had to replace a SCSI hard drive on our Rampage unit about a year or two ago, and I can tell you that the SCSI needs specific addressing and driver requirements that may be partially accomplished through jumper settings. I did jumper the new drive to match the one I took out, but I couldn't get Rampage installed properly until I loaded the proper drivers for the SCSI drive. You'll need to contact Heidelberg, but confirm that the jumper on the newly installed drive matches the jumper on the old drive. I don't think you can change a SCSI address in BIOS, but you should be able to view the current configured settings there.

[edit]Just to clarify, let's say the boot sequence goes through the SCSI addressing. If your old drive was SCSI 5 but the new drive isn't jumpered (0 or 1) or is incorrect (6 for example), then the software won't find it to be able to use it. I don't know about Windows so much, but on Mac, some external devices actually had a little counter you could physical change to avoid address conflicts. The last device in line needed a terminator to let SCSI know that was the end of the line.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

color_prepress

But rampage is software only right?
You mean your scsi harddisk that got rampage installed and the harddisk go down then you buy a same model plus set the same jumper setting but it still need driver for scsi harddisk?
If that is what you mean, then that one I know cos it is whole system harddisk down which you had to install windows plus those rip software plus the driver but now Delta tower is hardware rip (the harddisk inside delta tower is just for buffer of ripping-no program, no software inside)
The system harddisk that got windows and software plus driver is ok, that harddisk no problem that why I can boot up the win2000 system.
It fail when I launch the delta software and it start checking the delta tower hardware part.

Joe

Quote from: color_prepress on October 25, 2013, 10:43:12 AMBut rampage is software only right?
You mean your scsi harddisk that got rampage installed and the harddisk go down then you buy a same model plus set the same jumper setting but it still need driver for scsi harddisk?
If that is what you mean, then that one I know cos it is whole system harddisk down which you had to install windows plus those rip software plus the driver but now Delta tower is hardware rip (the harddisk inside delta tower is just for buffer of ripping-no program, no software inside)
The system harddisk that got windows and software plus driver is ok, that harddisk no problem that why I can boot up the win2000 system.
It fail when I launch the delta software and it start checking the delta tower hardware part.

Sounds like a hardware issue then.

DigiCorn

Quote from: color_prepress on October 25, 2013, 10:43:12 AMBut rampage is software only right?
Not familiar with hardware RIP vs Software RIP. AFAIK, all RIPs are software driven. But if what you're saying is that the Delta RIP software is on a dedicated drive, then that's where it's different, as The Windows 2000 and Rampage RIP software are installed on the same disk, but the disk can not be initialized/formatted for the motherboard without the proper SCSI drivers and addressing.

Quote from: Joe on October 25, 2013, 10:45:00 AMSounds like a hardware issue then.
Agreed. Which is why I said to check jumper settings and SCSI address.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Chilbear

Been a long time since Delta for me - I do remember having to change a drive and it was part of a Raid and that was that key at our end. Drink time - thinking about this give me the shivers -  :drunk3:

gnubler

Quote from: Chilbear on October 25, 2013, 01:41:31 PMDrink time - thinking about this give me the shivers -

lol  That's pretty much the result every time I think about running copiers or getting a 200 pixel JPG for an 8-foot banner.

Also, poverty and genocide gives me the shivers, too. (I'm not all about first world problems)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david