News:

Main Menu

Quark 7.3

Started by David, December 20, 2007, 01:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

almaink

We may never know Joe! I also want to know does Quark now export to PDF and keep the  transparency live? I've been searching Quarks site high and low but no answers there either...
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

frailer

Well...just installed 7.2. Was complicated a bit by flicking the QLA boxes back a coupla months ago. Finally sorted out WHICH Ser No. to use... ::)
Seem to be installed OK/registered; after about 20 mins/2 calls to Neuchatel/Mumbai...who would know. Those guys have got a thankless job...online tech for Quack. There's always someone worse off... :P
Am NOT about to get gung-ho and download any .3 updates. Just let the wa ves subside before I go trying that stuff. Or has it fixed some 'orrible problems, and I should do it?   ???
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Well, b4 I go home, [where I SHOULD be], at least got 2 things sorted in Prefs. Color Mgr.>Emulate Legacy.  And PDF flow> Create .ps for later Distilling.  ::)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Any expereiences with the 7.3 update? More gain than pain? Holding off for now, but open to suggestion.  :undecided:

DigitalCrapShoveler

I use QXD 7.3, and upgraded from V7.2 because of the apparent PDF problem with Quark since the dawn of time. I can't quite remember where I saw it, but because of a huge outrage among the 3 Quark users left, Quark released V7.3 to accomodate stable PDF placement and output. Here is an e-mail I sent to my manager explaining an issue we were having with a job:

I have reviewed the PDF in question and have come up with a solution and a possible explanation as to why this PDF went bad.

First I reviewed the ripped PDF, the fonts that were subset somehow changed in kerning and spacing. I reviewed the original placed PDF, and It was okay. I then tried to determine if the problem originated from Apogee X Normalizer or Acrobat Distiller. In every instance of testing the result was the same, bad. I then placed the original PDF in Quark Versions 4-7. Breakdown as followed:

Version 4 - Bad
Version 5 - Let me know screen fonts were missing when I placed it. But still bad.
Version 6 - Bad
Version 7 - Bad

For fun, I placed the original PDF in InDesign, Illustrator and Freehand MX, Interesting results.

InDesign CS3 - Okay
InDesign CS2 - Okay
InDesign CS1 - Okay
InDesign V2 - Bad
Illustrator CS3 - Okay
Illustrator CS2 - Okay
Illustrator V10 - Okay
Freehand MX - Asked for fonts, results unknown since I do not have the fonts that were used in the original PDF
PageMaker V7 - Bad

It appears that any Adobe product past system 9-based applications have absolutely no problem printing this file as it was originally intended, go figure. Any application other than Adobe manufactured cannot print it.

So... the solution. There are two. The first is to rasterize the PDFs in Photoshop, taking care to watch out for defaulting fonts. Not the best way to do it, but it will work. The second solution is: I dug around the internet looking for explanations as to why this was happening, and I found that Quark has a problem with PDFs. It always has. If the fonts are not 100% embedded than Quark "substitutes" for the closest resemblance. People are outraged, so Quark came out with Version 7.3. I downloaded it, installed it, and it works.

In conclusion, as long as this job, and every other Quark job with placed PDFs is output from version 7.3, we are gold. Any other version before 7.3, we are taking a risk, which the customer needs to be informed about.

Jason

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 12, 2008, 03:32:13 PMAny expereiences with the 7.3 update? More gain than pain? Holding off for now, but open to suggestion.  :undecided:

Hi frailer, we have 7.31 on 1 PC and 2 Macs. Only issue we have is that it's still Quark.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Thanks for input, guys. Shall work out a quiet time for the 360Mb.+ download on our "snail-net".   :rolleyes:

WharfRat

Quote from: almaink on December 21, 2007, 03:16:22 PMWe may never know Joe! I also want to know does Quark now export to PDF and keep the  transparency live? I've been searching Quarks site high and low but no answers there either...
--
No
--

WharfRat

Quote from: frailer on December 26, 2007, 08:44:45 PMWell, b4 I go home, [where I SHOULD be], at least got 2 things sorted in Prefs. Color Mgr.>Emulate Legacy.  And PDF flow> Create .ps for later Distilling.  ::)

--
Trash your Quark CMS and OPI extensions
export is fine

MSD

almaink

Better to just trash Quack...
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

jezza

Quote from: WharfRat on February 12, 2008, 08:29:04 PM--
Trash your Quark CMS and OPI extensions
export is fine

MSD

Kind of need my OPI, thankfully no more QX for this boy.
one sick prepress mofo

Joe

WARNING:

Quark 7.31 and Linotype Font Explorer 1.2.3 do not play well together. I think it has something to do with the FEX autoloader. It got to where I could not launch Quark 7.31. After trying everything under the sun I deleted the FontExplorerXAutoload login item, logged out, logged back in and Quark 7.31 now starts up okay.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Joe, and everyone else with font problems in Quark 6-7. I had many, many issues with Quark and fonts, specifically Suitcase X1, and Fusion. I don't think the font management software is the issue, Quark is. In Quark 6, go into the Quark 6 folder in your apps folder. Open it and go to "jaws". Open it. Inside there are two folders, one is "temp" and the other is "ttfont". Open both and delete everything in them. These are temporary fonts Quark is using, and for some reason they seriously conflict with systems. Quark 7 is a little different. Go to Users/Admin/Library/Preferences/Quark/QuarkXPress 7/jaws... Do the same thing as above. I don't remember this every time I have font problems, but 9 times out of 10 if I do have an unknown font issue, this will fix it. Oh and by-the-way restart after doing this.

If you have fonts in your trash that will not trash, because they are in use, but are not... Open all the fonts in TextEdit, type a couple characters on the keyboard, save and close. They will trash now.

Hope this helps.
Member #285 - Civilian

almaink

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 26, 2008, 09:01:06 AMJoe, and everyone else with font problems in Quark 6-7. I had many, many issues with Quark and fonts, specifically Suitcase X1, and Fusion. I don't think the font management software is the issue, Quark is. In Quark 6, go into the Quark 6 folder in your apps folder. Open it and go to "jaws". Open it. Inside there are two folders, one is "temp" and the other is "ttfont". Open both and delete everything in them. These are temporary fonts Quark is using, and for some reason they seriously conflict with systems. Quark 7 is a little different. Go to Users/Admin/Library/Preferences/Quark/QuarkXPress 7/jaws... Do the same thing as above. I don't remember this every time I have font problems, but 9 times out of 10 if I do have an unknown font issue, this will fix it. Oh and by-the-way restart after doing this.

If you have fonts in your trash that will not trash, because they are in use, but are not... Open all the fonts in TextEdit, type a couple characters on the keyboard, save and close. They will trash now.

Hope this helps.

If you running version 6 here is a script to trash those JAWS temps.
http://scriptbuilders.net/files/quark6fontreset2.0.html
The new version of Font Finagler has this built in as well if you select to clean all font caches.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

DigitalCrapShoveler

Thanks for the info... very helpful.
Member #285 - Civilian