Solve a mystery!

Started by tuff_gong, February 07, 2014, 11:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuff_gong

Got a pdf file produced in Quark 8. All is well. Then, client gave me a new one, with text edits. The color on the new one is very bad, first one was OK. When I compared a wireframe of the 2 files, something jumped out at me. See attachment. (original on left, new on right) The only time I've seem graphics butchered like that are PDF's from powerpoint. Anyone want to hazard a guess what happened?
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

David

flattened transparency will do that.
Is there a drop shadow involved or some form multiply/overprint/opacity on a object?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

tuff_gong

No transparency in file.

Edit: The Golden Rocket Pony will NOT be offered for this competition.

Joe

Sure looks like a flattening issue to me. The one on the left looks unflattened. The one on the right looks flattened.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tuff_gong

Preflight found no transparency in original pdf.

David

no pony, no solve...

I get that type of "atomic regions" whenever there is any form of transparency and it is flattened into a pdf 1.3.
The pdf file probably doesn't have transparency since it has been flattened and no longer exists as actual "transparency".
Is that an image or a tint?
Do you have the native file?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

The answer is right there people! 300% Vitazyme? That's WAY over the limit for a reliable PDF. C'mon - this is Prep 101!!!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DCurry

Could be slightly different settings during the creation of the PDF, or maybe the PDFs were created with different methods. Just because there was no transparency found in the original PDF does not mean that there was no transparency used in the Quark file.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

tuff_gong

No native file, just as well. It's quark 8 and we're only up to 7.5 (permanently). Must be the settings used to make the pdf. A bad pdf out of quark?!? This is unprecedented!

David

I know, right?

QuoteQuarkXPress is page layout and graphic design software that lets anyone create and publish rich, compelling materials for print, the Web, e-readers, tablets, and other digital media using one easy tool. Its proven professional design features make QuarkXPress the must-have software for in-house, agency, and independent designers.

You MUST have it, it is required    :toaster:
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: tuff_gong on February 07, 2014, 11:24:36 AMproduced in Quark 8. All is well.

Huh?

Pretty sure that's the issue. :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

There is nothing wrong with Quark PDF's as long as it only contains text and a flat tint or two. :sarcasm: (As long as you don't mind 2 gb PDF's)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

The only mystery is how quark is still in business...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

where is Sherlock when you need him?
Livin' la Vida Loca

mattbeals

Send me the original and edited PDF.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.