FusionPro VDP Producer

Started by tuff_gong, June 05, 2014, 10:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuff_gong

Anyone have it? What was the cost? Currently we have 4 licenses for FusionPro desktop. Any good reason to upgrade to VDP Producer?
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

DigiCorn

I don't have the producer, but from my understanding, if you have large amounts of variable data you are processing, you run it remotely off a server stored at their location (somewhere in AZ), so you're not using up all your local resources. Since we don't process files that large, I can't comprehend what scope of work would make this viable. Then again, I use about 6 of FP's hundreds of functions.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

...wait

Are you asking about Producer (formerly Direct aka DirectSmile and I think aka Expression) or Producer API (Server). I was answering in regards to Producer API.

Producer is variable images vs. Creator (formerly Desktop) which is only text and graphic callbacks. It renders unique variable raster data rather than just processing variable data.

Most PTI products are $799 to get started brand new, or $399 for an upgrade.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

seratne

FusionPro's new naming scheme has made their offerings a little confusing. Basically it's Creator > Producer > API. Creator is the desktop Acrobat plugin. Producer, from my understanding, is basically just the composition engine running on another workstation on-site. API is their web2print offering which is hosted off-site. Producer is useful if you run really long complex jobs and want to off-load that to a different machine. It also gives you the option to pause and prioritize running jobs. If you have jobs that typically take more than an hour to finish composing Producer is something you might want to look at. Although with 4 licenses I'm sure you can move these long running tasks to one of the workstations that is idle. From some of the sample files I sent PTI, Producer was able to process them 3-4x quicker than my workstation. And the pricing reflects that.

Dan Korn

Yes, our product names can be a bit confusing.  Basically, our two main product suites for desktop design and "data merge" composition are FusionPro VDP (our main VDP composition engine and design tool), and FusionPro Expression (our image personalization tool).

FusionPro VDP Producer was formerly known as FusionPro Direct (or "FP Direct").  It's our mid-range server-based composition engine.  It allows jobs to be composed outside of Acrobat (the limitation with FusionPro VDP Creator or Designer) on remote servers.  However, it does not allow full automation of compositions; that requires FusionPro VDP Producer API (formerly known as FusionPro Server).

On the FusionPro Expression side, there's the FP Expression Creator application for designing templates, and there's an FP Expression Producer system, which allows remote creation of batches of images based on a template.  FP Expression is technically a VDP engine too, but it's targeted toward image personalization instead of the more sophisticated, fully-formed VDP documents that FusionPro VDP can create.

There are also several different integration points between FusionPro VDP and FusionPro Expression, so you can use image personalization in a FusionPro VDP job.

Regarding the original post, if you contact PTI Sales, you can get a trial license for FusionPro VDP Producer or Producer API.
Dan Korn
Senior Development Engineer, PTI Marketing Technologies, Inc.

Dan Korn

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 05, 2014, 10:28:45 AMI don't have the producer, but from my understanding, if you have large amounts of variable data you are processing, you run it remotely off a server stored at their location (somewhere in AZ), so you're not using up all your local resources.
Here, I believe you are referring to MarcomCentral, our web-to-print system, which uses FusionPro VDP templates.

I think that's another level up from what the original poster was asking about.  But you can certainly contact our sales team about a demo of MarcomCentral as well.  It's a full-fledged ordering and fulfillment system which uses FusionPro VDP templates.  Many companies find this to be a great solution, but many others use FusionPro VDP Producer or Producer API, and some, like EFI, build their own web-to-print systems around Producer API.
Dan Korn

tuff_gong

I guess I was wondering if it would be more time and cost effective to look at a server-based application. We don't really do variable graphics, we mainly do sports tickets in runs up to 2,000,000. Takes a fair amount of time to process a file like that (100,000 pages imposed, numbered in 2 positions, sometimes with barcodes).
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

Dan Korn

Quote from: tuff_gong on June 06, 2014, 08:01:23 AMI guess I was wondering if it would be more time and cost effective to look at a server-based application. We don't really do variable graphics, we mainly do sports tickets in runs up to 2,000,000. Takes a fair amount of time to process a file like that (100,000 pages imposed, numbered in 2 positions, sometimes with barcodes).
I think it's worth contacting PTI sales for a trial license of Producer and trying it out.
Dan Korn