possible router settings issue

Started by andyfest, October 12, 2016, 09:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

The guys/gals in our IT dept in the big city (about 250 kms away) have decided to shut down our old FTP server and use an owncloud server for file transfers. Sounded easy enough - just use the Mac Finder>Go>Connect to Server>smb://IP address/sector name which should bring up a sign-in window, except that I can't connect. I tried taking my laptop next door to the design studio, using a different wireless network and router and still no go. Took the laptop up to our local Apple service centre, hopped on their wireless network and voila, the sign-in window popped up. I'm starting to think that we may need to alter a router setting in our prepress office, but it's something I'm not really familiar with. We had the same issue when trying to connect to the Esko server when we replaced our Nexus server hard drives. No problem connecting to the internet, but we couldn't connect to the Esko server to release our licenses and had to go thru a painful remote license renewal by a couple of techs on the other side of the world using TeamViewer to get into our server. I'm pretty sure that it was caused by the same issue. Anybody out there familiar with router settings, specifically for connecting to outlying servers? :huh:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

So I assume the cloud server is out on the internet somewhere and not on a local network. It sounds like it may be using a port that you don't have open in your firewall. Do you have a hardware firewall or just use the firewall feature on Macs and PCs? Can you get to it from a PC on your network? Do you know what protocol the cloud server uses, ie...http, https, something else? And do you know what port it is using. Also is this a 3rd party cloud server that might possibly have your IP address blocked. Have you checked your IP address to see if it might be on some blacklists? If you can send me the address of the cloud server in a PM I can investigate and see what port, protocol etc it is using. I don't need a username or password. Also can you PM your IP address? If you don't know go to google and type in "what is my ip address" without the quotes.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Ok - just sent a PM with everything I know. Let me know if you need anything else - and thanks!
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro