Split 10up BC template from Word to Separate Pages

Started by AaronH, May 21, 2019, 10:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Hey guys, is there a way to split up a 10up BC template from Word into separate 3.5x2 business cards? I have a lady that has 630 separate cards, they're inspirational phrases or something, and they're two sided...see the attachment. Is that possible? I don't want to have to place them and manually adjust in indesign for that many cards if I don't have to.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DigiCorn

What is the page size in Word? You *might* be able to adjust the page sized in Word to 3.5 x 2 and then save as a .docx and upload to Zamzar for .pdf conversion (or save as a .pdf from Word). If not, you might have to save as a pdf, and then place and adjust 10 times in ID, and then relink the additional pages to save time.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

This thread made me think of this.  :popcorn:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

AaronH

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 21, 2019, 10:45:55 AM
What is the page size in Word? You *might* be able to adjust the page sized in Word to 3.5 x 2 and then save as a .docx and upload to Zamzar for .pdf conversion (or save as a .pdf from Word). If not, you might have to save as a pdf, and then place and adjust 10 times in ID, and then relink the additional pages to save time.

That's what I was afraid of.

abc

Interesting one. I can do that in PitStop 2019 for you. Be an interesting one.
How do you want them, Front, Back, Front, Back, Front, Back...
or something else?

AaronH

Front, back, front, back... The backs are numbered to match up with the front on the other side. I've got the newest Pitstop if it works, I should be able to import an action right?

Thanks ABC!

abc

Will give it a try, probably won't be till tomorrow though

AaronH

Slappy

Quote from: AaronH on May 21, 2019, 10:09:56 AMI don't want to have to place them and manually adjust in indesign for that many cards if I don't have to.
I wonder if the PDF Multipage Importer script could help. You can set it to offset by X & Y, but I guess you'd need 10 different offsets for each of those pages. Blech.

Curious to see what abc comes up with!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

wonderings

Why is the one side numbered? Looks all common to me.

Would dread a file like this and wonder how much time the customer spent formatting and selecting fonts thinking they were helping you out?

Hopefully it all works in pitstop for you. Only way I could think of doing it would be if the quotes were separate and you could data merge it. Would lose all the formatting that the customer did though. I like challenges sometimes, this one just seems like a headache.

AaronH

I like challenges too. Sometimes I learn something on jobs like this that I can use to make other jobs even simpler. This though, I've hit a wall. Unless ABC comes up with a cool action, I'll be manually doing it. I let the customer know it will take a lot of time to break them apart, so we'll see what the finished art from them looks like but, bleh, I'm not looking forward to it.

delooch

i fooled with this and made an indesign template that will split the sheet into 10- 3.2.5 pages per original sheet, but you have to re-link the original pdf for all 63 sheets.. trying to figure out how to relink that automatically for each page in the original document

AaronH

delooch

i dont know if this will help, like i said i have to manually specify which pdf page to import, but it does split it to 3.5x2..

I made 2 additional 10-up pages in the pdfinput file, just to see if the additional pages land correctly, they do.

also, position 4 of your sample is off-center, i left it that way in case the rest of the pages were correct.

I didnt mess with the back side as they were all the same.

I forgot to remove my guides off the master page, just ignore it

AaronH

Nice! Thank you! I'll take a look at it. Hopefully this will come in handy.