Automatic Page Boxes

Started by Slappy, March 18, 2011, 03:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I know InDesign can do a Master Text Frame when you create a New Doc, and it's sized to the page spec but here's what I want:

The option to make the box either Text, Graphic or Unassigned.
The option to create a holding box based on either Page Size or Bleeds as spec'd in the New Document window.

I've thought about a script that could make boxes after the Document is created, but that's really no better than setting it up in the Master Pages and I want to be as lazy as possible. Anybody ever seen something like this, maybe in Plug-in format?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Could you make an InDesign template instead of making the defaults do this? Once you have it set up, laziness can happen!  :grin:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Well, sure. I could have a whole folder of Template Pages I guess, but they'd only ever have 1 Master Page, so for a 4-page doc then I'd dupe the Master Page, Override the Master Page Items and start importing itmes. Could ave just as easily started from scratch really.

Could also do the same with Page Presets, but I'd need Presets for every page size typically in use. And for every Preset size, I'd (ideally) need a Bleed vs. Non-Bleed version. And even then, the Preset can only contain a Master Text Page so I'd still have to change it to a Graphic item.  Not sure if there's an upper limit on Presets allowed for InDesign.

If it can't happen at the earliest possible point in document creation, then there's very likely little that can be done to streamline.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

I think a script is the only way that you could ever accomplish it. Run the script, have it open the new page dialog, enter your sizes, have it call up a new dialog to tell it whether to make a Text, Graphic or Unassigned box and make it either document size or bleed size based on the sizes you entered in the New Page dialog. Now you only need to find someone that knows how to make that script. :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

I think you're right. Looks like I'm off to peruse the various InDesign Scripting forums! If I don't return in a month or 2, send out a search party.