Placing multi-page PDF via AppleScript

Started by frailer, March 07, 2011, 10:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

OK, here is an old javascript file from InDesign CS that I have modified to work with InDesign CS4. If you make a new document to trim size and run this, specify your number of pages in the PDF and the InDesign start page, usually 1, this should place the PDF pages Crop Media centered on the trim size with your bleed outside the trim area so everything should end up centered the way you need it. I haven't tried it with CS5 so anyone having it might give it a go and let me know if it works for CS5.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Oh, place the unzipped .js file in your "InDesign | Scripts | Scripts Panel | Samples | JavaScript" folder.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on March 08, 2011, 02:29:14 PMOh, place the unzipped .js file in your "InDesign | Scripts | Scripts Panel | Samples | JavaScript" folder.

Onto it later this morning.   :cool:

....I notice that in CS5 they seem to have JSX suffixes, rather than JS. Untested just yet... but looks a bit 'orphan-ish'.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Yeah it does in CS4 too but the .js worked okay in it. Don't worry, it will be OK. :famouslastwordsofafool:

Joe

By the way, this setting is what makes it use the bleed from the PDF and centers it on your existing Indy trim size page.

DigiCorn

Quote from: frailer on March 08, 2011, 03:39:27 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 08, 2011, 02:29:14 PMOh, place the unzipped .js file in your "InDesign | Scripts | Scripts Panel | Samples | JavaScript" folder.

....I notice that in CS5 they seem to have JSX suffixes, rather than JS. Untested just yet... but looks a bit 'orphan-ish'.
With the accent, I have to ask: Orphan, a person who has lost his parents... or orphan as in frequently (often)?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

Whoa!       :wow:       Now just gotta get the 'Spreads' right. But should be able to do it from Pages Pallette, correct?   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Quote from: DigiSig on March 08, 2011, 04:19:26 PM
Quote from: frailer on March 08, 2011, 03:39:27 PM

With the accent, I have to ask: Orphan, a person who has lost his parents... or orphan as in frequently (often)?

As in Little Annie.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 08, 2011, 04:25:29 PMWhoa!       :wow:       Now just gotta get the 'Spreads' right. But should be able to do it from Pages Pallette, correct?   :undecided:

" Whoa!       :wow: " as in good or as in "Joe, WTF did you do to me"?

frailer

Well, about to take a closer look, but ....   :way2go:

...oh, spreads fixed in Document Setup>Facing Pages...  :cool:

Edit #2. Seems that setting to Facing Pages  makes it a bit problematic., whereas single pages; seems to work OK. As in, Exporting new/revised Pages, integrity of Trim/Bleed look OK, but not sure about doing it from Facing Pages setup.  :undecided:

Joe

I did the testing using facing pages. It seemed to work for me but on the original PDF's, does the PDF have bleed in the spine/gutter where there is overlap between the LHP and the RHP? For saddlestitch books the PDF should be output with bleed on the top bottom, and outside but not the inside. I see designers screw this up more often than not and include it on all 4 sides. That might be the turd in the punch bowl here.

frailer

Yeah, Bleed all round. Not usually a problem for us, as XMF impo takes care of that, obviously. This PDF was a Q8 one from 'outside' our organisation, but for a Q doc, looked OK. :washmouthout:
If from in-house, they're setting up from Facing Pages, and setting Frames accordingly, at the spines. I reckon this will work for them (and me, for that matter), in all cases as long as the (re)Export is done from Single Pages setup. I've suggested that they can have a look at it in Facing Pages, but may need to reset to Single Pages just before Export.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 08, 2011, 06:32:51 PMYeah, Bleed all round. Not usually a problem for us, as XMF impo takes care of that, obviously. This PDF was a Q8 one from 'outside' our organisation, but for a Q doc, looked OK. :washmouthout:
If from in-house, they're setting up from Facing Pages, and setting Frames accordingly, at the spines. I reckon this will work for them (and me, for that matter), in all cases as long as the (re)Export is done from Single Pages setup. I've suggested that they can have a look at it in Facing Pages, but may need to reset to Single Pages just before Export.

Can you sendspace me the PDF you are using? I'm bored anyway and need something constructive to do. I'll see if I can make the javascript do what you need. It will be more fun then sitting here looking at the wall.

frailer

frailer

Yeah, looking like 'intrusion' across spine; targets, etc.    15 minutes left on your (slow) upload. Hey, it's free...   :cheesy: