Remote Desktop

Started by Designia(o_O), April 03, 2024, 07:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Designia(o_O)

Do any of you use a remote desktop for when you're working at home and need to connect to your office computer? I just got WFH Fridays  :aljolson: and I'm looking into a remote desktop that will connect my Mac at home to my PC at work that will allow me to share files. Thanks!

David

I use VNC to remote in to my work Mac, cost me 40 bucks a year. With my gig speed internet it works really good.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

For Mac to PC connections I use Microsoft Remote Desktop but you would need to open the ports on your work firewall unless you already have VPS at your workplace setup to allow you to login to your work local network. Once logged into the work local network you could just connect directly to the PC IP address.

If you don't have a VPN or you can't open the correct ports from Microsoft Remote Desktop you can setup a connection via Google Chrome Remote Desktop. You would then connect t via the Google Chrome web browser to the PC that is is running Google Chrome Remote Desktop.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Jump Desktop, super cheap, install on as many Macs/Windows machines as you like.

Like Joe said, VPN access may be necessary - I had our IT vendor do mine so I run SonicWall Mobile any time I need to connect.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

I was using google chrome remote when I was working from home
the visual was not very good, so I do the work on my home computer
and was just using the remote to transfer files and emails etc..

Designia(o_O)

Exactly all I need, just n case I have a file at work I need to update or something.

DigiCorn

When I WFH during Covid, I used the free version of Team Viewer. I installed it on the Fiery and my workstation and of course at home. It's not perfect, but it did the trick.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 10, 2024, 08:36:00 AMWhen I WFH during Covid, I used the free version of Team Viewer. I installed it on the Fiery and my workstation and of course at home. It's not perfect, but it did the trick.
Team Viewer won't work if it determines you are trying to login to a business. I tried it from home and it flagged the workplace I was trying to login to as a business and would not allow the connection. Not sure how they determine if it is a business or not though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on April 10, 2024, 08:48:32 AMTeam Viewer won't work if it determines you are trying to login to a business. I tried it from home and it flagged the workplace I was trying to login to as a business and would not allow the connection. Not sure how they determine if it is a business or not though.
What? They need to make money too? Its a conspiracy!

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on April 10, 2024, 08:48:32 AMTeam Viewer won't work if it determines you are trying to login to a business. I tried it from home and it flagged the workplace I was trying to login to as a business and would not allow the connection. Not sure how they determine if it is a business or not though.
That's a good question. I was clearly working for a business, operating multiple machines at more than one location and I wasn't doing it because I was looking for a good time. Team Viewer never gave me any guff about that, but every 3-4 hours or so it seemed like I had to restart the client on my end because it'd get sluggish. I didn't have the best monitors at home, but the resolution was pretty good on my substandard setup.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

JumpDesktop has been good. Not great. I have been using it for years to access my work computer and my parent's computer when needed. And it is cheap.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

RMPrepress

I do this frequently from my Mac at home to various Windows Servers and PC's at work.
Although i dont do a lot of file sharing.
No problems as long as your company firewall allows it.

We have Palo Alto firewalls and use the PA GlobalProtect Clients for VPN access and it always works flawlessly and fast!
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP