Find Exact Text Matches in 600pg Doc

Started by Slappy, April 05, 2024, 10:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I've generated a 600+ Page doc (from an online ordering system) that contains orders, some times placed days apart, from specific people. I need to find say, Bob Smith's name, if it appears on Pg3 & pg 300 & Pg 552 so I can arrange them together.

The idea is, all of these orders are printed out & given to a Fulfillment Team to Pick/Pack/Ship so I need "like" names to all be grouped together.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DCurry

What format is the document in? If it were a csv or Excel you could sort it.

If it's a PDF, not sure what to tell you. The only software I know of that can peer into a pdf for specific data and do something based on what it finds is Quadient Inspire, which is an extremely expensive variable data package.  
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy

Yah, it's a compiled PDF from the Storefront. I'll ask their support if there's a way to sort them by User before exporting maybe.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DCurry

I would think there's gotta be a way to get a spreadsheet report.

Is this a one-time thing or something that you need to do regularly?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy

It's a one-off. For now.
And I have a few weeks to prepare this anyway, so I can waste as much time as I like!

DCurry

Reason I ask is if it's a one time thing, you can go to page 1, see the name and then search for it which will tell you what pages it is on. Note the pages, build a csv with that info. When done, use the list and whatever vdp you have to show the pages as needed. Painful, but possible. 

Along the same lines, I wonder if you can export or save all the text from the pdf and do the same thing. Should be faster to search but might be tricky to figure out which page it is on.

Getting a real report would be best 

abc

You can actually do this in PitStop if you have it?

Slappy

Sure do! I thought that was an option, just not sure which way to attack it.

Thx for checking in on us slowly peons too!

Slappy

Quote from: abc on April 06, 2024, 10:00:36 AMYou can actually do this in PitStop if you have it?
Not sure if you track posts here, did you have any suggestions for this? Thanks!

Tracy

so the advanced search in acro isn't good enough?
Know it's a lot of work but you can find what pages search names are on.

Tracy

Quote from: Slappy on April 22, 2024, 10:16:51 AMNot sure if you track posts here, did you have any suggestions for this? Thanks!
I think if you PM him he might get an email

DCurry

Joe

From not so good memory try looking for an action called "Select text by key phrase".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

Quote from: Joe on April 22, 2024, 11:26:05 AMFrom not so good memory try looking for an action called "Select text by key phrase".

That's the kiddie Joe, but you might need to merge the text first.
If it appears as individual characters you can merge to words/lines depending on what you are searching for.

Slappy

Ah, good to know. It's all over now except the crying (they're sorting products & matching to the Invoices I printed now) so we'll see at the end if I missed any...