Screenshot formats

Started by frailer, November 11, 2019, 04:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

I use Cmd+Shift+4 > marquee a lot. Defaults is PNG. Anyone knowhow to change the default to .jpg? Can the res be set, if so?

PNGs tend to be big files.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

scottrsimons

Onyx app can change that for you in the Parameters section.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Yes Onyx can change it to JPG and also you can change it via the terminal using:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type JPG
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on November 11, 2019, 05:02:11 PM
Yes Onyx can change it to JPG and also you can change it via the terminal using:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type JPG

Hmmm ... might try that.

... it worked, Joe!   :banana:  I had a slight dose of Terminal Terror, but decided to actually do it. I think 'sudo' is the danger area, correct? I gather PNGs have all sorts of other crap built in that in this case is not required.
Or is it an outmoded file format now anyway?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

PNG files are useful because they can have a transparent white background whereas jpeg files cannot. Downside is larger file size. Designers are getting quite fond of using them (png files) in print jobs. :death:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on November 11, 2019, 10:49:42 PM
PNG files are useful because they can have a transparent white background whereas jpeg files cannot. Downside is larger file size. Designers are getting quite fond of using them (png files) in print jobs. :death:
Interesting. Yep... whatever's easiest for them.