News:

Main Menu

Freehand

Started by frailer, April 28, 2012, 08:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioMonkey

Freehand WAS better at manual trapping (but who does that anymore) amongst other things, and Illustrator was always better at other stuff - prime example being 'Select Same Fill Colour' etc.  It really bugged me that FH didn't have that.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

StrutzinInc

It's pretty much like this with most software bundles. New competitors pop up and offer the exact things that the frontrunner in CS is missing. Unfortunately, these competitors either get sick of not seeing a paycheck from their efforts or simply not having the manpower that Adobe does, but they simply don't keep up with the features.

Some people like to hang onto these programs either for some of their function (some of which Adobe still hasn't caught up to), but for my (good deal of) money, CS is just too cohesive of a package to compete with.

I can definitely see the appeal of the cheap or free programs for freelancers or those who can't afford the huge cost of the entire Creative Suite, but other than that as far as I'm concerned the programs just haven't evolved effectively enough.

frailer

.... and as Adobe's market share increases, ( I assume it's still creeping up, due to Q's seeming difficulties), it gets harder for any competitors. CS is the bandwagon.  :shrug:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: StudioMonkey on May 01, 2012, 04:20:18 AMFreehand WAS better at manual trapping (but who does that anymore) amongst other things, and Illustrator was always better at other stuff - prime example being 'Select Same Fill Colour' etc.  It really bugged me that FH didn't have that.

Freehand does. It's called "Find and Replace". BTW, I still have to manually trap jobs on occasion. Packaging and "auto" trapping don't always see eye to eye.

It also handles, not HANDLED, but handles clipping masks WAYYYY better than Illustrator. Paste Inside was one of the best features Freehand had.
Member #285 - Civilian

andyfest

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 16, 2012, 03:16:19 PM
Quote from: StudioMonkey on May 01, 2012, 04:20:18 AMFreehand WAS better at manual trapping (but who does that anymore) amongst other things, and Illustrator was always better at other stuff - prime example being 'Select Same Fill Colour' etc.  It really bugged me that FH didn't have that.

Freehand does. It's called "Find and Replace". BTW, I still have to manually trap jobs on occasion. Packaging and "auto" trapping don't always see eye to eye.

It also handles, not HANDLED, but handles clipping masks WAYYYY better than Illustrator. Paste Inside was one of the best features Freehand had.
Agreed - packaging and auto trapping almost NEVER see eye to eye. Freehand had features that Illustrator never had, but Adobe took the best and killed the rest, somewhat reflective of the whole corporate world these days...
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DigitalCrapShoveler

I rarely use Freehand for professional jobs anymore. I do use it to draw with. Freehand, I have always felt was more for the Prepress guy than Illustrator. The tools available were exactly what the operator would need to tackle very labor intensive layouts. Illustrator was always more for the artist. Adobe will always be dead to me for killing it.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

back in my packaging days just about everything was illy - fine with me

sure - there's a ton of ways to do traps - three alone in illy. but i always always found manual was better, especially when chasing spreads across a sheet. manual traps were simple to edit - and still are, and i get that it may be a little cumbersome to some, but to turn layers off and just have my trap layer, select and edit whatever i need and i'm done already was a lot simpler in our environment

as for freehand - yeah ok
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

David

now you've done it...
DCS is gonna come over there for sure now!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

mmmyeahk i'm not scared ya know

i'm not

honest

:shoots_self:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

David

it was nice workin' with you...

:lmao:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home