Acrobat excessive RAM usage

Started by DPSprint, October 04, 2017, 12:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

No, this was after quitting Indesign, you can see how high the memory pressure went (the red stuff at the bottom) before quitting.

Tried to take a screen shot at the time but my computer was pretty well unusable with the spinning ball and all.

Joe

I see. So you only Force quit InDesign? Everything else was OK after force quitting InDesign? What was going on in InDesign at the time the memory usage went up?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on November 02, 2017, 07:23:55 AMI see. So you only Force quit InDesign? Everything else was OK after force quitting InDesign? What was going on in InDesign at the time the memory usage went up?

Yes, only force quit InDesign, the beach ball was spinning, application unusable. Force quit, re-opened and all was fine.

Still running now. Watched the memory go up like a balloon in the activity monitor. Have seen this in Acrobat but never Indesign. Previously have had very few crashes with inDesign, like maybe once every 2 weeks or so.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on November 02, 2017, 07:23:55 AMI see. So you only Force quit InDesign? Everything else was OK after force quitting InDesign? What was going on in InDesign at the time the memory usage went up?

Was exporting pdfs at the time the ball came up.

pspdfppdfxhd

Its just a ram-sucking mother-%$#@&#! situation.

Joe

Were you able to export the PDF after restarting InDesign?

pspdfppdfxhd

Yep, all back to normal. Like it never happened.

Joe

So we can call it an undocumented feature?

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on November 02, 2017, 07:44:41 AMIts just a ram-sucking mother-%$#@&#! situation.

I call it that. (above).

Joe

pspdfppdfxhd

sgrhill

Quote from: sgrhill on October 27, 2017, 02:14:59 AMI think I found the solution regarding my Acrobat Pro problem.
Please read the comments I've made on the Adobe forum.
Unfortunately the memory leak problem is 100% back. ;-(
My colleague worked problem free for a week. I've installed CC 2018 on his iMac and after this install Acrobat becomes very memory hungry again. (I don't know if this action is related to the problem.)
Back to square one.

DPSprint

Quote from: sgrhill on November 11, 2017, 04:13:48 AM
Quote from: sgrhill on October 27, 2017, 02:14:59 AMI think I found the solution regarding my Acrobat Pro problem.
Please read the comments I've made on the Adobe forum.
Unfortunately the memory leak problem is 100% back. ;-(
My colleague worked problem free for a week. I've installed CC 2018 on his iMac and after this install Acrobat becomes very memory hungry again. (I don't know if this action is related to the problem.)
Back to square one.
do you have preps installed at all? Im curious...
I dont think it is a cause but most people with the problem do have it installed

sgrhill

ThnX for thinking with me.
No, my colleague doesn't have that software installed.

DPSprint

Quote from: sgrhill on November 13, 2017, 09:31:11 AMThnX for thinking with me.
No, my colleague doesn't have that software installed.
ah well, thats interesting to know it happens without preps as well