Pitstop convert to CMYK fail

Started by DCurry, October 07, 2016, 08:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

ABC, this is for you!

I just installed Pitstop Pro 13 (update 2) as a 30-day trial (Acrobat DC on Mac 10.11.6.)

I have a file that I want to convert RGB images to CMYK using the out-of-the-box Action List called "Convert all RGB to CMYK".

When color management is off, it converts. However, since this results in crappy images, I turned on CM to US Prepress Defaults and it won't convert, giving me the following error: "Failure (Color conversion was not possible because the requested CMM engine was not available.) occurred during Convert color"

What's up with that?

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

I'm not ABC but I know why this is. You need to go into Pitstop Preferences and edit the profile you want to use and change the CMM engine to something other than than the Adobe one. The Adobe one only works 32-bit while Acrobat DC is 64-bit.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

So, if I change it to one of the other options, will I get the same conversion? What is yours set to?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

I know who doesn't have Alzheimer's  :cane:

Joe remembers that and the only reason I remember breakfast is because it's repeating on me.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on October 07, 2016, 08:57:43 AMSo, if I change it to one of the other options, will I get the same conversion? What is yours set to?

I use Little CMS. I don't think it will change the conversion. It is still using the same profiles. At least I haven't noticed any issues. Test it by using Acrobat 11 with the Adobe CMS and compare it to one converted in DC using Little CMS.

DCurry

Thanks, Joe. I trust your setting and do not feel like running any tests since I'm sure you probably did at some point!

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on October 07, 2016, 08:35:00 AMI'm not ABC but I know why this is. You need to go into Pitstop Preferences and edit the profile you want to use and change the CMM engine to something other than than the Adobe one. The Adobe one only works 32-bit while Acrobat DC is 64-bit.

Yes, Joe is right.

But did I have to tell anyone that Joe was right?
:drunk3:  GO BLUE JAYS  :drunk3:

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Farabomb

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Farabomb

I don't know, you guys were talking about animals so....

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

There is an animal called 'Rangers'? ;D

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on October 07, 2016, 11:53:02 AMThere is an animal called 'Rangers'? ;D

That Odor guy on the Rangers is an animal, when he punched Bautista in the face last year.

DigiCorn

Quote from: DCurry on October 07, 2016, 08:30:22 AMABC, this is for you!

I just installed Pitstop Pro 13 (update 2) as a 30-day trial (Acrobat DC on Mac 10.11.6.)

I have a file that I want to convert RGB images to CMYK using the out-of-the-box Action List called "Convert all RGB to CMYK".

When color management is off, it converts. However, since this results in crappy images, I turned on CM to US Prepress Defaults and it won't convert, giving me the following error: "Failure (Color conversion was not possible because the requested CMM engine was not available.) occurred during Convert color"

What's up with that?
As I am finding out here, it has to do with ICC profile embedding. If there are items tagged with an ICC profile, you'll have to strip those off before it will do the conversion. I got burned on a job like that recently.

I need someone to elaborate, but I think there's a PitStop feature that allows you to remove profiles from items. If not, I think you can place the PDF in InDesign, and distill a new PDF, which will be free of profiling (provided you don't have that turned on when you distill it).

Spoiler
GO GIANTS!
[close]
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway