Wanted! AGP video card...

Started by delooch, November 11, 2009, 01:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

looking for a "cheap" agp video card for my pc. my old 6800xt died today, just need something for a few months until i get a new system. paypal ready!

Joe

$30 plus shipping & tax will get you a 128 mb one at TigerDirect:

Sparkle GeForce 5200 Video Card - 128MB, AGP, VGA, TV/S-Video Out
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

Quote from: Joe on November 11, 2009, 03:20:53 AM$30 plus shipping & tax will get you a 128 mb one at TigerDirect:

Sparkle GeForce 5200 Video Card - 128MB, AGP, VGA, TV/S-Video Out

im getting a a generic card on friday for free, i scored that 6800xt from another board for $25, im hoping for a repeat.i know im not going to get near what i had, but i cant see sinking more money into that old box. i was planning on building a system soon, i have a laptop too fall back on in the meantime.

i dont know if youve ever checked out pricewatch.com -

http://www.pricewatch.com/browse/video_cards/agp_256mb

Skryber

I've got a Radeon 9200 and a Nvidia Geforce 2mx 200 that you can have but I'm unsure if they work. If a part works or is questionable, it goes in a spot until further testing. The Radeon I pulled out of my last computer for a pixel shader upgrade and it turned out to be the motherboard that was crashing. I would get the one Joe posted so you don't need to mess around with maybes. But if you want them, let me know.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

tapdn

Need one to replace the Radeon 9000 in my G4, but never flashed a PC version to work in Mac.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

G_Town

Quote from: tapdn on November 11, 2009, 05:45:13 AMNeed one to replace the Radeon 9000 in my G4, but never flashed a PC version to work in Mac.

Well if you have never flashed a PC don't start now sicko :angry:

tapdn

:laugh:
not sure I have the hardware for flashing.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Farabomb

I've wondered if there really is a difference in the cards. I have tons of PC gear laying around but I never have a Mac I can test it on. ATi is kicking nvidia's ass right about now. I have 2 4850's in my gaming toy and I'd love a pair of 5800 series but I also like to eat.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

tapdn

Cards can be used in either PC or Mac, but at least in the old daze it was the firmware that had to be changed on the cards- thus flashing.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Farabomb

I've flashed many a BIOS. When ATi released the 9500 it was the same silicon as the uber expensive 9800 but at a much lower price point. I took my brandy new 9500 and flashed it and it worked a treat. Wasn't hard to do at all on my PC through DOS, I have no clue how you would do it in OSX thou.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Quote from: Farabomb on November 11, 2009, 09:50:45 AMI've wondered if there really is a difference in the cards. I have tons of PC gear laying around but I never have a Mac I can test it on. ATi is kicking nvidia's ass right about now. I have 2 4850's in my gaming toy and I'd love a pair of 5800 series but I also like to eat.
What are you playing right now? I've got Left for Dead2 on pre-order, and was going to pick up Modern Warfare2 until they decided to fuck over the PC community as a whole.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Skryber

Quote from: Farabomb on November 11, 2009, 09:50:45 AMI've wondered if there really is a difference in the cards. I have tons of PC gear laying around but I never have a Mac I can test it on. ATi is kicking nvidia's ass right about now. I have 2 4850's in my gaming toy and I'd love a pair of 5800 series but I also like to eat.

That's good to hear. AMD processors have been slackin ever since they merged with ATI. I had to go with Intel about 6 months ago.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Nick Burns

Joe's pick is not only a good pick but also a SAFE pick. When changing out video cards on older pc's, the power supply is the limiter. Modern video cards consume way too much power for the common 250W power supplies on older model machines. Slap one in and burn up your psu, now you got bigger problems then no video, you got no power. The model Joe spec'd requires much less power than newer cards, I keep several of a similar model (VCGFX522APB) new in box on the shelf for when one is needing replaced around here.
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

delooch

thanks skryber, but ill wait. i think if i martyr this thing out right the wife will release the more funds sooner than anticipated.  :evil:

what do you guys recommend for a mid-level gaming rig now? ive been out of hardware for a few years now, my last build was a amd x64 2800, its been a while. ive always been an amd fan, but im flaky.

Farabomb

ASUS Maximus Formula SE w/ Rampage BIOS
Intel Core Duo E6850
2x HIS Turbo Radeon 4850 512
4G Corsair Dominator
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
2x WD160G SATA RAID0
1x WD750G SATA
1x WD120G SATA
Lian-Li PC65B
Corsair HX620W PSU

That's my present rig for time wasting right now. I don't see a reason to upgrade the i7 just yet. Only thing on the menu shortly is more storage. I'm close to full so I'll be picking up a few 1TB+ drives shortly. As nick said, the new cards are silly power hogs, you need to do a little research before you buy a PSU. There are more than a few that have a huge wattage rating on the box but don't deliver.

As far as CPUs go I've always loved AMD's bang for the buck but for a while they have been playing catch-up. My last 2 builds have been intel boxes mainly because I have a friend with a severe tech addiction and I end up getting his old (6 month old) hardware for a steal. My rig up there plays most of the new games with all the eyecandy on so if you spec it close you shouldn't have any issue. I too don't like how the developers have left the PC gaming scene to ports of consoles. I still refuse to buy a 360 becasue of the red ring of death but I have a feeling there will be one in my future.

Presently I've been wasting time on left for dead, prototype, batman arkham, playing bioshock again with DX10 now that I'm running Win7, fallout, oblivion, and bouncing from some of the newer releases. I'm at the GF's house and I honestly don't remember what I have all loaded. I did enjoy call of juarez bound in blood very much and will probally replay that shortly. Right now I'm still getting my mind around finding PC gamers on a seemingly windows unfriendly board.  :huh:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job