ICC profile question

Started by Farabomb, December 03, 2015, 09:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

I have seen an old-school (backwoods?) die maker. This guy printed the dieline on a laser printer, spraymounted it to the board, then used a scroll-saw to cut the pattern. He would then insert the cut and score strips.

So, I can see it for an analog application, but not a CAD machine.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Made in Taiwan

I guess, their question about the ICC is for the output intent. If you're going to tear out the profiles anyway, just tell them to use ISOcoated v2 300% for coated stock or PSOuncoated for uncoated stock, that's pretty common in Europe.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Farabomb

I'm not even going to worry about it. I have a feeling by the time I get the book that ad will have the profile stripped out, possibly run through PS then scanned. Then someone will take a picture of it with their cell phone, fax it across the atlantic then the fax will be scanned, placed into word, exported to excell, then powerpoint and then placed into the indesign document.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Quote from: Farabomb on December 08, 2015, 07:27:46 AMI'm not even going to worry about it. I have a feeling by the time I get the book that ad will have the profile stripped out, possibly run through PS then scanned. Then someone will take a picture of it with their cell phone, fax it across the atlantic then the fax will be scanned, placed into word, exported to excell, then powerpoint and then placed into the indesign document.

SOP, word
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Made in Taiwan

Quote from: Farabomb on December 08, 2015, 07:27:46 AMI'm not even going to worry about it. I have a feeling by the time I get the book that ad will have the profile stripped out, possibly run through PS then scanned. Then someone will take a picture of it with their cell phone, fax it across the atlantic then the fax will be scanned, placed into word, exported to excell, then powerpoint and then placed into the indesign document.
But they'll export the PDF from just that Indesign document, so you still have to tell them, which ICC profile to use.  :drunk3: :rotf: 
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Farabomb

So the job came in. I won't bore you with the myriad of other issues but I made sure I took a look at the ad in question. Sure enough in the original there is a swop 2006 (custom) profile. I normally don't get natives but this designer loves overkill and yes, it has helped in the past.

I use the high res PDF provided and the native only to fix seriously messed up things. The PDF file I was instructed to use has the profile stripped out for that ad. No output intent at all.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

:0      <- this is my surprised face
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

David

I am shocked I tell ya, shocked!!!

:o
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

So I got our proof back and it came with the "proof" the agency sent. In order to emulate the paper it's being printed on I guess, they have a dirty brown background. I'm not sure they know what 100# Text actually looks like. It's closer to McDonald's napkin brown than any coated sheet we've ever dug out of storage.

I inquired about the proof to the customer and if we are expected to get close. "Oh no, they liked your proof much better" Really, Mr. ICC profile...

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job