News:

Main Menu

Strike-thru

Started by rickself, November 10, 2020, 08:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

Embarrassing but...
Been in prepress for 35 years and have not really had a good education on what strike through is. We have a job going to an outside printer for spot UV. It will have a dull or soft touch coating with gloss spot UV. The printer is asking if we want it as a strike-thru.
Educate me please!
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

David

QuoteHere's how it works: The contrasting glossy vs. matte effects are accomplished using our water-based coatings and a strike-through varnish, printed as an ink, inline on our presses. First, the dull/matte strike-through varnish is put down with a traditional printing plate in the areas that are to stay matte. At the end of our presses, an overall flood of our gloss aqueous coating is applied.

As it cures, the gloss coating is dulled down in the areas where the strike-through matte varnish had been applied. Also, since we're using a traditional printing plate in a standard print unit on our press, we can achieve as much detail as we want. Otherwise, you have to cut a coating blanket specifically for the areas where you want glossy, and that blanket can only be used for that press run or project.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

rickself

Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

David

My pleasure.

we used to do those all the time at Williamson, along with retic varnishes, orange peel coatings, etc.
Most were with a DuPont Cyrel/Kodak Flexcel, but we also did them inline with a plate.

cheers!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

We do them inline with a plate, haven't seen a request for a cyrel for ages - and then it was for adhesive for temporary tattoos.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?