Composite 2 multipage PDFs

Started by Dave79, February 20, 2022, 12:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave79

Thanks DCurry. Forgive me for being a bit novice, but I am having trouble following your solution using InDesign master pages and layers. First, I am able to convert the red separation PDF to the proper color using Pitstop, so no need to use Prinergy as far as I can tell. I found an InDesign script to place all the black pages in a document and then place the red on a separate layer for every page. I can combine the two using Multiply, but I first have to select the object to apply it to, so as far as I can tell that means manually doing this process for every page. I think what I'm missing and not understanding is your mention of placing a picture box on the master page and setting it to multiply. Would you mind breaking that down for me?

Joe

Lets not forget the obvious solution which would be to have the customer supply the files correctly so you don't have to jump through hoops to create their crappy rasterized 2 color job.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Dave79

Haha... Yeah, will be working with her on that if we see anymore of these in the future, which I'm thinking we will. This is a Teacher's Edition schoolbook for an Amish client, and if they are willing to pay for 2-color there will certainly be other editions coming in.

DCurry

If you've already got both PDFs placed on all pages, it's too late for Master Pages to help you.

What you'd have to do is use the script to place all the pages of the first sep (I'd make it the Red), then go to the master page and make a new layer. On the new layer, draw an empty picture box, and set it to Multiply. (You only need to set whichever is on top to Multiply, not both).

Now go back to page 1 and hide the layer that has the red art. You should be left with the empty picture box. It gets a little manual here, but it's not too bad - place the K PDF and make sure you click on Show Import Options so you can choose to place ALL pages. You'll have a "loaded" cursor and just make sure you click in the empty box (don't worry that it's locked locally since it is on the master - it will allow you to place the PDF page into it. Then just go to the next page and click in the empty box, then the next, etc.

I'd be happy to use my variable method to help you out if you want - not too busy lately. I'd just need both of your PDFs and I don't think it would take very long.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Dave79

Thanks for the breakdown DCurry. That would be quicker than page-by-page manually selecting the top object and setting it to multiply. Also thanks for the offer to use your variable method to take care of it, but I really need a procedure I can do in-house. Also, I don't even know at this time if our client will still want to do this 2-color once they see the estimate.

At this point I'm going to stop screwing with it as my work is piling up big time. I see a couple workable options, so I'm good. Thanks so much to you and Joe for your help! Both of you have elevated my knowledge

DCurry

If you don't have a dedicated variable data solution, you can use InDesign's Data Merge. I'll test it out and let you know my results but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DCurry

Yup, DataMerge works. Here's my InDesign file and supporting links and list:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0czeb3txxtaluzf/DataMergeTest.zip?dl=0

DCurry

To get the page names, you would first refine the PDFs in Prinergy so you can just drag the sub-pages out to a folder on your desktop (or, you could use Acrobat to split the pages into singles.) Then from the Finder you Select All to select all the singles, then copy. Open my CSV in Excel and paste which will paste the names of the files i(make sure you paste them into the correct columns!)

Joe

Just to add on to DCurry's method here is a Pitstop action that will change the color from Black to a spot Magenta.

And the MultiPageImporter Script for adding a multipage PDF into InDesign. I think with both of these combined and using DCurry's methods this could be automated as much as possible.

The MultiPageImporter Script still works in the latest version of InDesign. Just copy the files into:

/Applications/Adobe InDesign 2022/Scripts/Scripts Panel/Samples/JavaScript

DCurry

Joe - using the multi-page importer script, won't one have to go page-by-page to set the top sep image to Multiply?

Lots of ways to skin this cat, which is good!

Joe

I was thinking putting the first layer down and then creating the second layer and then hiding the first layer and placing the picture box on the master page set to multiply. Then running the script again with the second PDF. Though I'm not sure the script would place it in the picture box set to multiply. Since retiring I don't have access to InDesign to test these ideas out. I just had the script in my saved items from over the years. ;D

DCurry

There you go again, rubbing it in.

Dave79

Quote from: Joe on February 22, 2022, 09:09:06 AMI was thinking putting the first layer down and then creating the second layer and then hiding the first layer and placing the picture box on the master page set to multiply. Then running the script again with the second PDF. Though I'm not sure the script would place it in the picture box set to multiply. Since retiring I don't have access to InDesign to test these ideas out. I just had the script in my saved items from over the years. ;D
I did try this last night at home but it didn't work for me. The only thing I didn't do was hide the first layer before adding the second.

DCurry

I think DataMerge is really the best way we've found so far. Pretty easy, too, even if it's new to you.

Joe

I think the script would probably create its own picture box so making the picture box set to multiply before placing the second PDF probably wouldn't work any way. The script allows you to make the second PDF create it's own layer but not a way to make it to multiply. Maybe the action to change the color from black to spot magenta could also set all images to multiply?