News:

Main Menu

corel to illy

Started by beermonster, August 05, 2008, 07:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

hey! yo! experts!!!!!!

a mate just asked the friendliest way of getting corel files into illy.

any suggestions? export - save as - whatever?

thanks folks :cheesy:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

jezza

eps is probably the easiest route beer, out line fonts first if you can, that's what I used to do.

It's been a while though and more recent versions may have some export options instead of saving options
one sick prepress mofo

DigitalCrapShoveler

Corel has a direct export to AI. Save as an AI file, the newest version it will allow. I am still on Corel 12, (POS) in regards to previous versions. I generally have very little problems, but keep a close eye out!
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

DigitalCrapShoveler

If you have too many troubles, send me the file. I am no Corel expert, but I can get around okay in it. Transparent objects and raster created elements within Corel are the biggest problems I would look out for.
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

cheers dude

if they get probs i'm sure they may ask again - and they said thanks too
 :grin:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: beermonster on August 05, 2008, 08:38:07 AMcheers dude

if they get probs i'm sure they may ask again - and they said thanks too
 :grin:

I'll be here. Have a good night Beer! :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian

delooch

while on the subject of corel (not to derail the topic)...

since ive been in prepress, ive noticed that almost every print shop ive ever been exposed to utilizes adobe apps, where "other" shops - screen printing, embroidery, etc. tend to utilize corel apps.  maybe that just holds true to my area/exposure... whats your experience? why the corel preference?

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: delooch on August 05, 2008, 11:39:42 AMwhile on the subject of corel (not to derail the topic)...

since ive been in prepress, ive noticed that almost every print shop ive ever been exposed to utilizes adobe apps, where "other" shops - screen printing, embroidery, etc. tend to utilize corel apps.  maybe that just holds true to my area/exposure... whats your experience? why the corel preference?

It's cheap.
Member #285 - Civilian

delooch

makes sense, though i was thinking there was some technical perk or benefit to those trades.. but cost seems to be about the only difference.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: delooch on August 05, 2008, 11:53:14 AMmakes sense, though i was thinking there was some technical perk or benefit to those trades.. but cost seems to be about the only difference.

In my experience, I noticed the same thing... smaller shops were using Corel, while larger ones used more mainstream apps. Corel is one of the only apps, and was one of the only apps, you could do just about anything. You are not limited to paste-board sizes, (you could make one a mile long if you were so inclined), and because it is all encompassing, and fairly inexpensive in terms of other apps... smaller shops just can't say no. Corel is a cluster, and very difficult to use, but it does work and does produce "quality" files. That does of course depend on the builder of the "said" file.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: jezza  on August 05, 2008, 07:59:05 AMeps is probably the easiest route beer, out line fonts first if you can, that's what I used to do.

It's been a while though and more recent versions may have some export options instead of saving options

Careful, though. I have very little experience with anything Corel, and once rec'd EPS files for a 3 color biz card job. I assumed they were Illy EPS files, not knowing any better. When I opened the files, various elements were kicked way off the artboard and the colors were totally wrong (and I believe showed up as CMYK instead of spot). Opening the same EPS files in Corel (I don't recall the version, this was 5 yrs ago) and everything was fine.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

born2print

I haven't dealt with Corel in forever, and we used to have the artist export .ai as DCS says, but does anyone know if maybe PDF is the way to go now? I have no idea what control Corel has during PDF export...
For all I know, some of the PDFs we're receiving are from Corel (somehow I doubt it though :rolleyes:)
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: born2print on August 06, 2008, 09:45:28 AMI haven't dealt with Corel in forever, and we used to have the artist export .ai as DCS says, but does anyone know if maybe PDF is the way to go now? I have no idea what control Corel has during PDF export...
For all I know, some of the PDFs we're receiving are from Corel (somehow I doubt it though :rolleyes:)

I trust Corel, if I have natives on it for export to PDF, which is now a viable export format. I just don't trust anyone else. Corel handles color very poorly, and in V12, I cannot even utilize color management because Corel won't launch if I do. I am getting V13, but I don't really see it being any better. It's all the raster and fountain steps embedded in the file.... makes for shitty PDFs. Corel to AI, and export from there. It takes longer, but the end result is much better. Of course that does depend on the size of the job and the elements involved.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: born2print on August 06, 2008, 09:45:28 AMI haven't dealt with Corel in forever, and we used to have the artist export .ai as DCS says, but does anyone know if maybe PDF is the way to go now? I have no idea what control Corel has during PDF export...

I have at least 2 jobs that we receive Corel PDF's. They seem to work okay but they are larger in size than most other PDF's. Text is outlined in all of the ones we get but that's probably an option the customer could change. If customer using faux bold it creates several instances of the text just ever so slightly offset to give it the appearance of bold, sort of like PageMaker does. They seem to RIP okay though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.