News:

Main Menu

FTP for dummies

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, September 04, 2008, 09:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Dumb question (I'M FULL OF THEM) does anyone have a solution for the inevitable "I can't get on your ftp site" that comes up with certain clients. Of course it has to be FREE cause I don't really want to chase down the bosses credit card! (again). The file size is about 15MB which is too large to mail.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on September 04, 2008, 09:00:33 AMDumb question (I'M FULL OF THEM) does anyone have a solution for the inevitable "I can't get on your ftp site" that comes up with certain clients. Of course it has to be FREE cause I don't really want to chase down the bosses credit card! (again). The file size is about 15MB which is too large to mail.

I have pretty good luck with Cyberduck... I don't know why she swallowed the fly.
Member #285 - Civilian

pspdfppdfxhd

sokay problem solved, they had an ftp site which I got on.

I like cyberduck too, that's what we use but some of our clients are on pcs and when I suggest they get a free ftp client they (most times) act as if I am handing them some steep learning curve ordeal...

DigitalCrapShoveler

I tell them to use Explorer. It's ALWAYS the PC peeps! ALWAYS!
Member #285 - Civilian

beermonster

yeah i use cyberduck too - but we just sorted our free account with "yousendit" today - simple as anything - now i can upload files up to 100meg onto the interweb freeway, it emails the recipients and bosh - they download it

very very easy - and if i can do it - anyone can
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: beermonster on September 04, 2008, 09:21:28 AMyeah i use cyberduck too - but we just sorted our free account with "yousendit" today - simple as anything - now i can upload files up to 100meg onto the interweb freeway, it emails the recipients and bosh - they download it

very very easy - and if i can do it - anyone can

I do use YouSend-It as well. It is very handy! And does take the dummy element out. YOU set it up, so no more muddled customers "trying" to access FTP. And Beer is correct... if he can do it, anyone can. It's a curve thing. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I use Smart FTP on the PC. Filezilla is also okay. Both free. Can't help you with stupid people that can't figure out how to use it. I've got plenty of them too.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

almaink

I like Quickshareit myself. It's free, can handle up to 100 megs and no FTP required.
http://www.quickshareit.com/
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on September 04, 2008, 09:31:21 AMFilezilla is also okay.
+1 Discovered that recently on the PeeCee (although it's available for all platforms, 'nix too) and it's nifty.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

tiger lil

we use mailbigfile.com have had no problems, easy to use on both ends.

LoganBlade

https://share.adobe.com/adc/login.do

Joe posted this and when it is out of beta might be a solution if it is free.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

agent_orange

Been using acrobat.com for a while and love it. Haven't even looked at yousendit et al since. I just wish there was an indication of if/how many times your shared files have been downloaded so you can remove them if you're so inclined. Played around with the connect now feature a little and it's very cool. Tried to share my screen with myself though and it's like I stepped into Alice in Wonderland.

frailer

If you go the FileZilla route, just be aware of this problem; [depending on your OS level].

https://www.b4print.com/forums/index.php?topic=1374.0

Every time I open FileZilla now I have to flick the update message. If I clicked on it, which I did once, I lost FileZilla...Grrrr..... :shrug:

Come to think of it, must check out Adobe.com again. Last time I tried, it didn't support the browser...Camino, I think.
Now that am on Firefox, should have another look.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

It worky muy buen! Only snag I hit was that from my earlier attempt to use it, it still recognised my earlier attempt, [pre "don't support your browser"]; and told me my email was already in use.   :rolleyes:     I'm on a web mail rego. instead.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.