LumaPix Yearbook software

Started by gnubler, May 20, 2010, 03:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

http://www.lumapix.com/yearbook/ybk_overview.shtml

Boss wants me to find out about doing yearbooks. Customer (school) gets use of the software, they send us files to print. Apparently this software can output layered PSDs, flattened TIFFs, or PDFs to be uploaded to us from the customer. Free trial on the software - actual price is unknown and licensed per school.

Anyone experienced with this or something similar before I attempt to download and run the trial?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 20, 2010, 03:43:19 PMhttp://www.lumapix.com/yearbook/ybk_overview.shtml

Boss wants me to find out about doing yearbooks. Customer (school) gets use of the software, they send us files to print. Apparently this software can output layered PSDs, flattened TIFFs, or PDFs to be uploaded to us from the customer. Free trial on the software - actual price is unknown and licensed per school.

Anyone experienced with this or something similar before I attempt to download and run the trial?

I'll bet a dollar the files you get suck. :wink:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Yup. I was trying to keep the sarcasm out of my original post.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on May 20, 2010, 04:54:35 PMYup. I was trying to keep the sarcasm out of my original post.

I'm shocked you didn't recommend PAP to them.

But back on topic...No, I have no experience with that software.

youston

Quote from: Joe on May 20, 2010, 04:43:46 PM
Quote from: gnubler on May 20, 2010, 03:43:19 PMhttp://www.lumapix.com/yearbook/ybk_overview.shtml

Negative Joe is negative.

Joe

Quote from: youston on May 20, 2010, 04:57:17 PM

So you are wanting to bet the files are pristine and trouble free? How much are we talking here? I need a lot of DVR equipment ya know...

youston

Quote from: Joe on May 20, 2010, 05:09:33 PM

So you are wanting to bet the files are pristine and trouble free? How much are we talking here? I need a lot of DVR equipment ya know...

No, I'd pretty much expect them to be crap, as well. But I'd hope they'd be okay.  :angel:

Joe

Quote from: youston on May 20, 2010, 05:22:19 PM

No, I'd pretty much expect them to be crap, as well. But I'd hope they'd be okay.  :angel:

I do hope they are OK too. For gnubler.

youston

Quote from: Joe on May 20, 2010, 05:43:26 PM

But the difference is that I would have lied to gnubler and said it would be awesome so that he experiences that crushing sense of defeat when they're low-res rgb crap. That's what DCS has taught me.  :evil:

Edit: gender confusion. fixed now.

Joe

Quote from: youston on May 20, 2010, 06:38:14 PM
Quote from: Joe on May 20, 2010, 05:43:26 PM

But the difference is that I would have lied to gnubler and said it would be awesome so that he experiences that crushing sense of defeat when they're low-res rgb crap. That's what DCS has taught me.  :evil:

Edit: gender confusion. fixed now.

You see, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks.

Syphon

You know that no matter what the photos that the students send in will be crap. We at one time did a yearbook of new students for a local college and it seems that the students always sent in the worst photo of themselves. Sometimes they sent a print off their cheap crappy printer at home.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

gnubler

This is exactly what I expected to hear - now I can breathe. I was asked by the Boss to find out about it and now I'm done. I wish they'd just list the cost of the software & its licenses right on the website so I wouldn't have to go through all of this "research". I was asked how a photographer could take 800 pictures of students, give us the images, and we match the correct name from a database file to the picture. I said "uhhhh..." and agreed to look into it.

youston

Quote from: gnubler on May 20, 2010, 09:06:54 PMThis is exactly what I expected to hear - now I can breathe. I was asked by the Boss to find out about it and now I'm done. I wish they'd just list the cost of the software & its licenses right on the website so I wouldn't have to go through all of this "research". I was asked how a photographer could take 800 pictures of students, give us the images, and we match the correct name from a database file to the picture. I said "uhhhh..." and agreed to look into it.

That's actually pretty easy to pull off, but you need to have some vdp software like darwin or xmpie (and there are tons of others). InDesign might even do it, but I'm not really all that familiar with its variable capabilities.

The only problem is if the photographer typed the data into the db wrong ... I've had that happen more than a few times, where db entries don't match up with file names.

Joe

What kind of database is it? Are the images actually stored in the database?

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on May 20, 2010, 09:28:44 PMWhat kind of database is it? Are the images actually stored in the database?

No idea. It's all speculative. I was presented with the scenario that a photographer would go to a school and take pictures of all the students and then...I don't know what. How would a batch of images from a digital cam be matched with a database list of the student names? This is what I was asked and I didn't have an answer. Not sure who would be responsible for what.