News:

Main Menu

Back ups

Started by PR Treefrog, December 06, 2010, 05:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR Treefrog

Currently we're backing up to two dvd's, on stays on the premises and the copy doesn't, but due to time it takes to organise files to fit on a dvd am looking at a couple of 2TB external hard drives. My question is ... at the moment we use a free program called autocat to catalog what we back up. Is there a program that is able to be used to catalog an external hard drive? Or how can I do that?
Appreciate your brilliant ideas, yet again  :cheesy:

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Stiv

Slightly off topic, how can I open a disk image and delete a folder and resave the disk image?

Stupid back up system made a dmg that is .08GB too big and the IT fellows don't know what to do. I could re-drop the files back into the system but the DVD numbering skips a few.

We use CD Finder to catalog our archives.

David

You should be able to remove the folder once you expand the dmg. Once you "eject" the expanded .dmg, it should be removed from the original .dmg

if my memory is good   :old:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Stiv

Tried it and got a "Sorry, the operation ... Error code -61."

I am starting with an ISO using Disk Utility 11.1 (252.4), and I have read/write Admin permissions.

David

oops, my bad, for some reason I was thinking of a .dmg file, not a disk image.

sorry, not enough coffee yet, apparently     :embarrassed:
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: david on December 07, 2010, 10:07:18 AMsorry, not enough coffee yet, apparently

Or too much tequila?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Stiv, you using a Mac or PC? I'm pretty sure Power iso for PC will do what you need.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Stiv

Ok, will try later. I've got a lunch appt with Jose.

David

give him my regards...

:cool:
Livin' la Vida Loca