Digital Storefronts and or web-to-print re-visited

Started by Joe, October 07, 2011, 10:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

How are the people involved with this progressing?

I'm considering trying to roll my own storefront/web-to-print with some open source software like either Joomla or Magento.

I've installed Magento to play around with though it doesn't have any print specific stuff on it yet. You can take a look here:

Magento Demo

(Don't try to buy anything) :laugh:

There is a free web-to-print extension from ZetaPrint but any orders in the future you have to pay ZetaPrint a commission so I'd like to do my own.

digicorn, I know you've mentioned a PDF library of some sort you've used. What is the name of it?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Blocks

We are still struggling with the integration of our storefront (Printlinqs)... but Printlinqs felt our pain, and they're fixing it all exactly the way we want it for $2500, so we're going to let them.

The PDFLib Blocks is for a customer to typeset their own business card, letterhead or whatever on our site. It imposes it and everything - takes us out of the equation. They have to pay via credit card, so a few times a day I get an email with a file to digitally print - they have to approve via pdf online, so I just take the order, load paper, and push the "print" button.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Who writes the code for PDFLib Blocks. You or Printlinqs?

Is your web site running under Windows or Linux/Unix? Or something else?

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

I guess....how does it work? Customer logs on, creates their own product and you get a PDF like what digicorn said?

Joe

DigiCorn

We write the PDFLib code... but Printlinqs will if we ask them. If it's simple, they just provide free tech support. If it's complicated then they will charge us.

Quote from: Joe on October 07, 2011, 12:15:35 PMDigiCorn and David...are your sites similar to this?

https://www.sigpress.net/place-an-order.html

Ours will be when we beautify it. Right now it's really ugly, and I dn't know CSS which doesn't help.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Looking at the PDFLib website it looks pretty freaking complicated. Exactly what kind of code are you writing?

David

I'll send you a PM of one of mine, it's for a real client, so don't order anything.
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on October 07, 2011, 12:28:39 PMLooking at the PDFLib website it looks pretty freaking complicated. Exactly what kind of code are you writing?
If I can do it, anyone here can... and probably faster and better

It's mostly similar to html. Here's a sample of what it looks like:

The first picture is an example of the interface and what it looks like.

The second picture is an example of code written for a dropdown menu for multiple iterations of multiple addresses custom tailored for font, font size, line breaks, and other formatting specific to what the customer wanted. This is the nightmare card from hell, and the worst/most complicated code I've had to deal with yet.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

good gawd!
massive string code there!
Mine uses HTML, CSS and a little PHP, a little easier on the eyes for sure.
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 07, 2011, 12:40:25 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 07, 2011, 12:28:39 PMLooking at the PDFLib website it looks pretty freaking complicated. Exactly what kind of code are you writing?
If I can do it, anyone here can... and probably faster and better

It's mostly similar to html. Here's a sample of what it looks like:

The first picture is an example of the interface and what it looks like.

The second picture is an example of code written for a dropdown menu for multiple iterations of multiple addresses custom tailored for font, font size, line breaks, and other formatting specific to what the customer wanted. This is the nightmare card from hell, and the worst/most complicated code I've had to deal with yet.

So you aren't writing C, C++, Perl, or PHP or some shit like that? And it is basically a GUI you fill in and it generates the raw code? I think to integrate it to your web site you do have to do some of the aforementioned "shit" and I assume Printlinqs did that in the beginning?

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on October 07, 2011, 12:48:46 PMOur EFI storefront runs on Unicorn poop.
Really? So that's where my sewage line runs.

Quote from: Joe on October 07, 2011, 01:13:30 PMSo you aren't writing C, C++, Perl, or PHP or some shit like that? And it is basically a GUI you fill in and it generates the raw code? I think to integrate it to your web site you do have to do some of the aforementioned "shit" and I assume Printlinqs did that in the beginning?
No. That long code you saw was for a very complex card. I showed you the worst of the worst case scenarios. It looks intimidating but essentially it breaks down like this (for a business card):

Take a pdf of any business card and make note of locations, fonts, font sizes and if there are images (photos) that might be uploaded by a customer. Leave master items and delete all the changeable fields.

Draw blocks and name them easily identifiable fields (Name, Title, Address, etc.)

Each block can be customized with a special color, font, size, justification, etc. or you can create a paragraph block made up up multiple smaller blocks (and the smaller blocks are set with parameters and told not to print).

The parameters are defined by codes; there's basically about 10-15 codes and an infinite number of customizations you can create, although sometimes you are limited by your font. That code above is to make a pseudo Small Caps look for 34 iterations of 13 addresses in a drop down menu. A typical code for a specific in-line change is like this:

prefix <fontname=Helvetica fontsize=12 encoding=winansi>{Name}

{Name} refers to the block contents and location as drawn on your pdf.

Otherwise, most of the customizations are done through dropdown menus with the Blocks plug-in.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway