Hooking up T-Box (Boxee~sorta)

Started by frailer, October 16, 2011, 02:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

I just want to know why, though the problem's been solved. Finally got around to hooking up the new 'box' for internet TV, via the Airport, as we've finally become flatlanders, and have got a 40" LED HD TV. Got the ISP's one (internet TV box), as we can rent downloaded movies for zero download penalty, just rental cost.
Here's the question... why is it that I could not see the IPv4 address required for the T-Box anywhere on the 'house Mini's' Network Settings (ethernet cable connected), but only by looking on the wife's laptop PC (Airport connected), where we found it was 10.0.1.3?

Setup is: some stuff on ethernet cable (through the Airport), but laptops/TV connectable wirelessly via the Airport.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

What is the wife's IP address? If on a Windows pc, open a command prompt and type in "ipconfig" (without the quotes). What are the Mac's IP addresses?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Shall have a look later Joe. 0520 Monday here  :sleepwalking:  BTW, after sussing that out... (memories of renewing DHCP under Windows), what's the safe Exit from command prompt, if there's one needed at all?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

We don't say sussing in Amerkin but I know what it means.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2011, 12:34:36 PMShall have a look later Joe. 0520 Monday here  :sleepwalking:  BTW, after sussing that out... (memories of renewing DHCP under Windows), what's the safe Exit from command prompt, if there's one needed at all?

Oddly enough it is "exit". :laugh: Really.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on October 19, 2011, 12:37:44 AM
Quote from: frailer on October 16, 2011, 12:34:36 PMShall have a look later Joe. 0520 Monday here  :sleepwalking:  BTW, after sussing that out... (memories of renewing DHCP under Windows), what's the safe Exit from command prompt, if there's one needed at all?

The fcukwit alarm just went off. Now I remember.      :rolleyes:

Anyways... on re-visiting her work HP lappie, keyed 'ipconfig' into Run command prompt, but no window coming up. It being a work one of hers, I stopped fooling around at that stage and we think we found the IP elsewhere as 10.0.1.12. But it may not be what you're suggesting I try and find in ipconfig.
Mini is ethernet cabled to the Airport, but is showing a wireless address as well. (screenshots).

gnubler

I love how Aussies can make any word sound fun & whimsical. Like Boxee, lappie, cuppa (cup of coffee), etc.

There's a town south of Sydney called Wooloomooloo, for real. I know it's an aboriginal place name, there's lots of them, but still.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 19, 2011, 01:15:29 AM
Quote from: Joe on October 19, 2011, 12:37:44 AM

The fcukwit alarm just went off. Now I remember.      :rolleyes:

Anyways... on re-visiting her work HP lappie, keyed 'ipconfig' into Run command prompt, but no window coming up. It being a work one of hers, I stopped fooling around at that stage and we think we found the IP elsewhere as 10.0.1.12. But it may not be what you're suggesting I try and find in ipconfig.
Mini is ethernet cabled to the Airport, but is showing a wireless address as well. (screenshots).

You don't do it from the run box. You open a command prompt. Start | Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt. Brings a black window with white text. Type in ipconfig and you will see all of that info.

frailer

Must have been an earlier Windows I did that on.   :wink:  Next time she has it home and open, I'll have another look.
T-Box is still connected.  :shocked:  Just forensic curiosity on it now.

Chilbear

Colour me curious also. Anyone with the Airport - can you determine if the wireless is a subnet issuing DHCP with the range 10.x.x.x and ethernet like the regular 192.168.x.x?

My Parallels on my iMac is using the 10.x.x.x to all the Winbloze devices within W7 and can see the 192.x.x.x router just fine. To add more intrigue, I have cascading routers to solve the placement of the newer wireless router and it is not issuing DHCP but has an IP of 192.3.x.x to the DHCP router that is issuing 192.2.x.x to ethernet and wireless connections. Both my routers are Linksys but 6 years apart in age (oldest is B wireless and newer is N speed)

Captain - on the Run command - Run was under XP and Joe is speaking W7 eye believe. Why they change it, no sane person knows. We need to be like the Matrix where we get the info downloaded prior to moving the mouse.

David

Frailer, the command prompt is on all windows OS's.
Go to the "start menu", then to "all programs", drag up to "accessories", then from the flyout menu to "command prompt".  A window will pop up that you type in "ipconfig" right beside a blinking cursor.

HTH
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

you can also type cmd at the run prompt to get a command prompt/dos window..

frailer

Quote from: delooch on October 19, 2011, 03:46:23 PMyou can also type cmd at the run prompt to get a command prompt/dos window..

That was the missing step.   :embarrassed:  Been a while... so, PICNIC, not something Bill Gates changed.