Port replicators_anyone?

Started by frailer, August 24, 2008, 03:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Wife's boss has given her a "surplus to requirement" Compaq AMD 64x2 Dual 3600+, NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE 3D.
Only has VGA.
Just got a DELL 2007FP display on DELL Outlet. Want to run DVI-D if poss, rather than VGA.

A guy on Whirlpool Forums here reckons he got a "port replicator" on ebay to achieve a full digital link. $39. The only port replicators I can see there are $200+. Dunno what he might be referring to for $39....OK, he's linking to a laptop, but shouldn't matter, with what I have to try and achieve.

Any ideas?    :huh:   Is it achievable with the appropriate PCI card? But then there's the cost of that.

..adding Whirlpool info., for anyone interested. This started a few years ago, I believe initially as a gathering point for those complaining about the service flakiness/dropouts on our biggest, then monopoly, ISP, Bigpond. [Whirlpool, get it?...we're not in a Big Pond, just a...]. Things have improved a lot since then, so its original reason for existence has faded somewhat. But Whirlpool has grown from a baby to a giant baby on steroids that changes its own nappy.    :laugh: The freakin' thing is huge. Worth a look in for you non-Aussies even. How it hasn't reached some critical mass and imploded is beyond me.    :shocked:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

LOL, 1.16% of the population are Registered Members!   Doesn't even include lurkers... :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Chilbear

If the box does not have DVI then pop in another video card into any of the free PCI slots. Lots available. I added a DVI version of the ATI card for my kids to game for about $130 CDN almost 2 years ago. X1600 and X1900 were the models. Really easy to do. Any ATI or Nvidia board will load first time. Watch out for the X1900 as the cooling fans can block up and the board overheats.

Joe

Here is link to an add-on card that adds DVI to existing graphics card. Price? $39 USA.

Hewlett Packard DVI ADD Card AGP Video Card

Not sure if it works with any video card and I've never used one. Proceed with caution. :evil:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

delooch

yeah, what everyone else said.  a new pci-e card with better performance than that 6150  and dvi should run you less than $75.