News:

Main Menu

Windows 8

Started by Joe, September 13, 2011, 01:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

w/screenshots. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the new UI.

Windows 8 Unveiled
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Le Fail. It wants to be a Mac OS. In terms of looks, they are getting close... all they're missing is rounded corners, drop shadows and pleasing color schemes. The font is almost there. Color scheme looks like one of my kids' sketchers light up shoe box designs. Makes me want to buy a bag of skittles.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

I'm not even seeing a resemblance to Mac OS though I haven't really seen Lion yet. And if Lion looks that I don't like it either. Must be geared for a mobile device since they are touting the on-screen keyboard.

Ear

Right, not an actual resemblance, but a weak attempt to clean things up like the Mac OS does. The UI looks like it is stuck in the early 90s. Aesthetics are important.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

And I thought XP looked like fisher-price my first operating system. Doesn't look like OSX to me, more like my android phone. I really don't think it's a good idea to change it up so much, people have enough trouble navigating computers as it is.

Flashcards, a sock monkey and what looks like duckhunt. Seriously?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Ya, it's pretty mickey mouse looking. It does feel like the Android layout. I'm not saying it "looks like OSX".... I can just see where they have taken certain cues from OSX over the years.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

It does look exactly like my In-Laws' Windows phones. I hate having to relearn a new OS. I don't upgrade, ever, unless customer files start forcing me to. If it works, why tinker with it?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

gnubler

I'm afraid to click. Terrified.

I haven't used anything beyond XP. Too scared.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on September 13, 2011, 01:32:28 PMAnd I thought XP looked like fisher-price my first operating system. Doesn't look like OSX to me, more like my android phone. I really don't think it's a good idea to change it up so much, people have enough trouble navigating computers as it is.

Flashcards, a sock monkey and what looks like duckhunt. Seriously?

The whole thing kind of reminds me of Microsoft Bob. Remember that?

Farabomb

Still trying to block it out. Same with windows ME.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

simply not enough sock monkey. Increase the sock monkey quotient by a factor of 9 and I'm all in.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on September 13, 2011, 02:41:00 PMStill trying to block it out. Same with windows ME.
ugh. ME. BSOD hell. I was once using ME when I had (it caused) a seizure. I woke up and my wife had left me, I had moved to a new city and XP was installed. I still don't know how it all went down.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

I will admit the Sock Monkey was the main point of interest for me as well. More of that shit and maybe some retro Muppets and I'm there.