Windows 2003 dropping mapped volumes

Started by G_Town, November 14, 2011, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

So I have two Windows servers running 2 nexus installs both rack mounted in the same enclosure but a strange thing has started to happen recently, nexus 1 as we'll call it,  has started dropping the other machines it's mapped to causing jobs to fail because the job can't write to it's final destination.

Simply logging in and opening back up the volume re-establishes connection. Also this same machine when mounted tends to "boot" one of the macs in prep, in other words operator has windows open on the server and the connection just drops.

I've tried a couple things but am at a loss thus far. We have recently added a PC to the network to drive our GMG, other than that it's same old same old.

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

G_Town

Joe

Any recent MS updates done right before the issue started?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

hmmm.... that's how I would have them connected too. Have you tried re-establishing the path... remap?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Agreed, try a remap first. If that doesn't help and if the issue isn't caused by an update it could be the network card driver is hosed. I would try finding the latest driver and installing it. Since it works for a while it could be the network card itself going bad. Either could explain the shares dropping off the Mac or the PC losing it's mapped drives.

G_Town

Quote from: Earendil on November 14, 2011, 09:57:06 AMhmmm.... that's how I would have them connected too. Have you tried re-establishing the path... remap?

No haven't done that yet.

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on November 14, 2011, 10:02:36 AMAgreed, try a remap first. If that doesn't help and if the issue isn't caused by an update it could be the network card driver is hosed. I would try finding the latest driver and installing it. Since it works for a while it could be the network card itself going bad. Either could explain the shares dropping off the Mac or the PC losing it's mapped drives.

Nope no updates, I'll try remapping then.

Ear

Quote from: G_Town on November 14, 2011, 10:03:09 AM
Quote from: Earendil on November 14, 2011, 09:57:06 AMhmmm.... that's how I would have them connected too. Have you tried re-establishing the path... remap?

No haven't done that yet.

It seems silly but I have had it work on a similar problem.

Greg_Firestone

Have you thought about using UNC paths versus a Mapped Drive?

Also, when you map the drive, do you need to enter a user or pass or is it the same account on both machines?

Greg

Ear

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on November 14, 2011, 10:24:25 AMHave you thought about using UNC paths versus a Mapped Drive?

Also, when you map the drive, do you need to enter a user or pass or is it the same account on both machines?

Greg

That is great suggestion.

Joe

I think the mapped drives are a Nexus thing. They have to be mapped to drive letters for everything to work if I remember correctly.

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on November 14, 2011, 10:30:55 AMI think the mapped drives are a Nexus thing. They have to be mapped to drive letters for everything to work if I remember correctly.

Correctamundo.

mattbeals

How about CAL's (client access licenses) for Windows SErver. How many do you have an how many users do you have?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

G_Town

Quote from: mattbeals on November 15, 2011, 02:28:25 PMHow about CAL's (client access licenses) for Windows SErver. How many do you have an how many users do you have?

And how would a windows challenged individual go about finding that out?