Support ends for XP on April 8, 2014

Started by DigiCorn, March 31, 2014, 10:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Just got a quote last week to replace both of our Luscher XP PC's with new PC's running Windows 7. Around $20K for the hardware, installation, travel, etc... :shocked:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I'm still running NT on my platesetter.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yeah, I know we can keep running XP but it is a security thing here. I have enough issues keeping virus, trojan, and adware off of patched systems here. From an IT perspective I do not want any unpatched PC's in the building. I've managed to get all of our old servers off of Windows 2000 except one and that is only because our tape archive is stuck there for the time being.

David

we are in the process of getting all the XP boxes off the network...

IT tells us "just get new ones"....

Software $5-10,000 dollars + new PC costs which equals approximately $15,000, times several...   sure, we'll get new ones, rigggght.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Our big wheel wanted to know why we can't just go get a new PC from Walmart? :shoots_self:

Farabomb

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

I have a couple xp's what kind of problems are you anticipating?

Joe

Microsoft will no longer be fixing security holes that will be found which will make it more venerable to virus, trojan, and adware infections.

David

it's the good stuff...

you know, you can never have enough ads popping up...

keeps you busy
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

ok good to know, I'm pretty sure I can get rid of my xp's

Farabomb

Keep them isolated from the internet and lock down permissions and you shouldn't have issues.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Not really an option for our CTP devices as they have to have an internet connection for support. Yeah, we could add/remove the DNS when needed but that is not really a good option. Plus we can't even move up to the latest software if we are running XP.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: david on March 31, 2014, 12:00:19 PMwe are in the process of getting all the XP boxes off the network...

IT tells us "just get new ones"....

Software $5-10,000 dollars + new PC costs which equals approximately $15,000, times several...   sure, we'll get new ones, rigggght.
What he said.

I thought I read not too long ago that many ATMs still run XP...
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

David

the PCs in the consoles on our Heidelberg presses are Win XP...   upgrade those MFers
Livin' la Vida Loca