Support ends for XP on April 8, 2014

Started by DigiCorn, March 31, 2014, 10:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Since I'm stuck in the olden days I forgot that new platesetters like to call home.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: david on April 01, 2014, 07:52:12 AMthe PCs in the consoles on our Heidelberg presses are Win XP...   upgrade those MFers

That is easy. Just order new presses. Problem solved. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

I am assuming the check is in the mail?

thanks Joe!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Yeah go ahead and order them. I'm sure the check will get there soon. :sarcasm:

delooch

weve got 2 firey servers that have "XP embedded" on them. IT is whining about it, but unless they are coughing up the $$$ for the upgrades, we are keeping it.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Just found out Embedded is different and more stable. It's beings supported until early 2016.

Here's the article about ATMs using XP - which is how I found out about Embedded.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-16/atms-face-deadline-to-upgrade-from-windows-xp
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Reading comments on Slashdot about the EOL for XP...and someone from the printing sector made a comment. THE SHOCK!  :shocked:

QuoteFWIW there are print shops with $2mil+ printing presses that still run Windows NT 4.0 on Dec Alpha-based controller PCs (AT motherboard no less - not even ATX!), with no upgrade path offered other than being told by the manufacturer to "buy a new press." WHY buy a new press just because the OS and motherboard are outdated, when it otherwise runs flawlessly?

There are perfectly valid reasons to stick with an EOL OS.
Here's that link http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/03/27/1947242/ask-slashdot-preparing-for-windows-xp-eol
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Running an EOL OS is fine as long you aware of what could happen if it is exposed to the internet. As long as you keep it isolated it will run forever...or until the hardware dies.

Designia(o_O)

I read that Security Essentials will still be supporting XP through July 2015.

Joe

Quote from: DesigniaToo on April 01, 2014, 10:00:11 AMI read that Security Essentials will still be supporting XP through July 2015.

Yes and no.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

QuoteAs a result, after April 8, 2014, technical assistance for Windows XP will no longer be available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date. (If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC will be secure because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to help protect your PC.)

Designia(o_O)

I may have to switch to MacAfee or Bitdefender then. As far as I know they don't have any plans to discontinue support of XP.

DigiCorn

How do you feel about AVG?

QuoteWe do not have any plans set yet for the end of life for XP so we can't say officially what will happen at the moment.

It wouldn't be helpful for us stop releasing virus updates for that operating system as there will still be a large number of users using XP by the time April comes around, so my own personal opinion and from previous experience, we will probably still provide virus definitions and basic support but any problems specific to XP that would require bug fixes would be stopped.

As soon as there is an official statement or official information I will post back.

Thanks,

Michael Allen

AVG Customer Services

http://www.avg.com
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Designia(o_O)

I've used Macafee and Bitdefender, I feel AVG is just more to research :) sorry if that's your company!

Joe

AVG has become so big a bloated that it is a drain on system resources...like Symantec and McAfee.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca