News:

Main Menu

Selling old PC's

Started by ninjaPB_43, January 10, 2008, 01:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

What's the best way to sell a desktop PC that is just 2 yrs old(eMachines T6520 - spec link )?    Ebay?   I know I wont even come close to getting what its worth(simply due to age), but I would like to not get burned either..

what about selling an old blueberry iMac?   or even a 1998 Compaq?..    Should I try ebay or should I look for a computer store in Dallas area that buys used?

any suggestions?..   

If I do decide to sell(trying to figure out a way to get one of them Modbooks - loaded of course)  I'd stick them here(B4P) first just to give you guys a crack at them first...

thanks guys and gals.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

gnubler

With older models, I think you'll be lucky to find someone who actually wants to pay cash for them. Personally, I've had better luck bartering computers for other stuff (for example, I once scored a 2001 G4 from a guy renting a room in my house, in exchange for 6 weeks rent).

Also, if you can't find any takers, consider donating to Free Geek or other computer recycling center. I volunteered at a Free Geek and we turned crappy old PCs into fine working machines running Linux that were donated to whomever needed them.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

ninjaPB_43

I was afraid of that.  I know I wont get much, but I'd like to at least get a little bit of cash to put towards the Modbook..   guess that's a pipe dream..   but that's why I asked for input and suggestions..  thanks Gnub..   
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

just did a search on ebay..   comparable Compaq going for $51....     maybe that IS the way..   Hmmmm....    there's a store right here by my office that sells on ebay for you, for a cut of course, may be worth looking into though...    anyhoo..   any other suggestions or comments welcomed as always..

:)

Joe

With those specs for the e-machine you should be able to get a couple hundred for. You should also have no problem getting $100-200 for the iMac. The 1998 Compaq though I'd have to charge you for me to take it. ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

that's good news joe!!  thanks.   Im definately entertaining this idea..   I have never wanted something so bad, as that Modbook..  its exactly what Ive been waiting for...   :D

Chuck_Revised

Where to sell?  Craigslist.org!  You're in the Dallas area if I remember right...  Good place to try before eBay...no fees, usually local so no shipping hassles... and can get national attention thru google search (sold a 55 chevy pickup with camper and received an inquiry from Pointyhat's area--New England! sold it locally for asking price).... Just remember price moderately high and negotiate down!

delooch

craigslist is awesome. i had an old grand wagoneer i tried selling for $1000 in the local paper just to get rid of it due to insurance and the fact that it got like 6 mpg. After 2 months, put it on craigslist for $1500 and sold it the next day for $1250.

Ive always had succeess selling my old pc parts and stuff on HardOCP, (www.hardforums.com) - they have a for-sale thread, a lot of techhies troll there for deals, but i dont know if those types will be after an e-machines, but you might check it out. The only drawback is that they use a 'trust' system, so if you havent sold therebefore, you may have trouble getting a buyer..

ninjaPB_43

I'll check both those out..   thanks guys.

David

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on January 10, 2008, 02:13:35 PMI have never wanted something so bad, as that Modbook.. 

you don't want one of these?

big mac

it's only slightly more than the modbook.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on January 11, 2008, 01:27:00 PM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on January 10, 2008, 02:13:35 PMI have never wanted something so bad, as that Modbook.. 

you don't want one of these?

big mac

it's only slightly more than the modbook.

I've got one of these monsters configured. Now all I need is someone's credit card. Anyone?

My MacPro

David

that thing cost more than my friggen car!!

27000 us dollars!

holy smokes!

I'm thinking you'll need a couple of credit cards for that one.

sorry, I left mine in my other wallet...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

ninjaPB_43

you have TWO wallets..    NOW THAT FOLKS IS A CRAZY TEXAN!!   

but no seriously, that Mac Pro would be friggin incredible, but still wouldnt get me mobile, OR in my recliner watching TV and computating.  :D

Joe

Quote from: david on January 11, 2008, 01:36:36 PMthat thing cost more than my friggen car!!

27000 us dollars!

holy smokes!

I'm thinking you'll need a couple of credit cards for that one.

sorry, I left mine in my other wallet...

Crap, I went back to place my order and all I get is this. Sorry Apple. I tried.

Ear

One word, TREBUCHET. You won't get any money out of it but it is better piece of mind IMO.  8)

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black