Linotype

Started by Stiv, October 26, 2011, 09:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 02:51:58 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 26, 2011, 02:40:38 PMA little before my time....

I will say, the Lino 330 was the absolute epitome of imagesetters. Loved that machine. Not a finer machine of that type in existence; a total workhorse.

The 3030 was a beast and weighed more than a tank. Good times.

Wow, I did not that you were that old, I mean experienced.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Syphon on October 26, 2011, 03:16:24 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 26, 2011, 02:40:38 PMA little before my time....

I will say, the Lino 330 was the absolute epitome of imagesetters. Loved that machine. Not a finer machine of that type in existence; a total workhorse.

He's pretty fucking old. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Registration was fine on them as long as you didn't use its own register marks. We used to manually make marks on our Hell Chromacom system and place them on the page. Then the registration was perfect.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Me and dirt are good friends. Grew up together.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 03:25:53 PMRegistration was fine on them as long as you didn't use its own register marks. We used to manually make marks on our Hell Chromacom system and place them on the page. Then the registration was perfect.

Yeah, tell an 86 year-old stripper to NOT use the marks on the film... hahahahah! I didn't care, we were a Service Bureau. The film rarely registered on a capstan imagesetter. Always a hair off... always. Film stretch being pulled though a processor wet, or running long galleys of film. I never had a problem, but I didn't have to strip anything off it. By the time I got into stripping, I was using film off a drum imagesetter by then, Scitex PS2.
Member #285 - Civilian

Syphon

Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 03:27:05 PM

So I take it you helped Moses put the ten commandments on the stone tablets.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Syphon on October 26, 2011, 03:33:16 PM

Yeah, if Moses was around when Adam was. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 26, 2011, 03:38:12 PM

Was that before or after the dinosaurs? He might have a first hand account of how they died.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 26, 2011, 03:44:53 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 26, 2011, 03:38:12 PM

Was that before or after the dinosaurs? He might have a first hand account of how they died.

Adam was Cro-Magnon. Eve was a spider-monkey.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 26, 2011, 03:31:25 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 03:25:53 PMRegistration was fine on them as long as you didn't use its own register marks. We used to manually make marks on our Hell Chromacom system and place them on the page. Then the registration was perfect.

Yeah, tell an 86 year-old stripper to NOT use the marks on the film... hahahahah! I didn't care, we were a Service Bureau. The film rarely registered on a capstan imagesetter. Always a hair off... always. Film stretch being pulled though a processor wet, or running long galleys of film. I never had a problem, but I didn't have to strip anything off it. By the time I got into stripping, I was using film off a drum imagesetter by then, Scitex PS2.

No, we put the marks on the page and then output film and the marks on the film (for the 86 year old strippers) were the ones made by us...not the imagesetter software. The work always fit but the built in registration marks never did.

And I'm talking about the old 402 imagesetter, not the 3030 which was a drum imagesetter.

Stiv

We had 6 Lino's that we sledgehammered into pieces, then hauled out through the shop with a snatch-strap hooked up to a truck and sold for scrap. I kept some nameplates and a couple of pieces of small hardware. We dumped the brass into barrels. Pied all our type into barrels too. The owner kept the Ben Franklin press and we junked the proofing presses. I think he kept a few Mats.

Put in a Lino 330 and a 530.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: hotmetal on October 26, 2011, 02:53:42 PMI'll never forget when the typeshop I was at bought an early postscript imagesetter, around 1989 (not a Lino, however) and the young smartass salesman threw a floppy at me and said:  "Lino this, quick!"

Glad that "verb" didn't stick around too long!
Compugraphic?
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 03:06:04 PM...strippers.
I miss telling people "I'm a stripper".   :old:
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

I used to have to strip in the registration squares at my First Job® in printing (pin-fed forms), and sometimes the job number. Job numbers were 6pt type output to film (on our Linotronic 3600(?)) to fit in that short bit of space to the left of the holes. Those were the days I would find bits of litho tape in the drain after washing my hair.  :laugh:

gnubler

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on October 26, 2011, 06:35:11 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 03:06:04 PM...strippers.
I miss telling people "I'm a stripper".   :old:

At the first shop I worked in we found an old VHS tape titled something like "Advanced Stripping Techniques" and joked about what customers would say if we left it on the front counter.

I was a stripper until around 2005. Then I turned 30 and found myself out of a job. :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david