Opening/Viewing OPPO file

Started by DHG, January 27, 2012, 12:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHG

Running Nexus 9.0.3. Anyone know how I can open an OPPO file (.opo)? I use InSight to open or edit PSTI files, but that will not allow me to open OPPO files.

Printer is insisting that files I gave them for a previous job were not trapped. The workflow I use for their stuff creates a trapped Artpro file which then among other modules goes through a Print File to Nexus Module where the OPPO file and link are produced. I opened all the Artpro files (in Artpro) and they all have trap. The proofs I made are from the OPPO file and the trap is visible in the proof. I give the printer the Artpro file with mapped tiffs as well as the .opo file and low res link. I don't want to get into a pissing match with the printer. I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before the next round of work comes through that will going to the same printer. This is the only printer I have ever had to supply an OPPO file to.

As an aside, I am strictly doing the prepress on this and I believe that printer is just trying to make my company look bad so they can do the prepress as well. I'm sure nobody has heard that one before..... :banghead:

I attached screen capture of the workflow if that helps. Thanks again in advance.

Joe

Which ArtPro file did you give them? No. 1 is untrapped. No. 2 is trapped.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DHG

I gave them both. That is how I supply Artpro files to another printer. I explained to them what each file was beforehand when I gave them a test file and they gave me the green light to go ahead because they said the file looked great.  I thought maybe this printer was looking at the untrapped Artpro file and they insisted they weren't. They told me they only use the OPPO file anyway and the Artpro file is only supplied to them "just in case". I do know that next time they are only getting the trapped Artpro file unless they specifically ask for the other. One thing I will add is they are running an older vesrion of Nexus (8.6 Rev 5) and using Power Layout which I don't have and have never used. They said they couldn't get a separated preview in PL although they did get a composite preview. I believe after various test files it is a Nexus version issue. My thinking is they went back and regenerated the OPPO file on their end using the untrapped Artpro file instead of the trapped file.

t-pat

I would strangle you with a mouse cable if you gave me trapped artpro files. Nobody traps for baby.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DHG

Quote from: t-pat on January 27, 2012, 01:40:02 PMI would strangle you with a mouse cable if you gave me trapped artpro files. Nobody traps for baby.

Haha. OK then.....

Would love to just give them a straight up PDF and call it a day, but only giving them what they want per their accepted file formats. BTW, this printer will not accept any files via FTP because they don't have their own and if they have to retrieve off mine they will charge me for it (for their time to do it). Never heard of that one before.

t-pat

just because at a previous job we got trapped artpro pdfs and we'd have to bypass prinergy's trapping and hope that what we got was suitable and correct. No real ability to do anything to them, and since the work was going through multiple layers of brokers, it would take a while to get a new file if there was anything wrong with it.
Prinergy would retrap the file on top of the existing traps since the way artpro traps is very different - didn't recognize the traps as traps so didn't untrap then retrap the file.

Sounds like you need a new vendor.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

Wait, they can't set up something as simple as a FTP yet they will charge you to them to get it from yours?

Do they charge you per each email you send them? It takes time to read those things.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DHG

t-pat, I agree with you. That's why I give another printer both trapped and un-trapped in case of a situation like you said. Unfortunately, being the prepress guy for this stuff. I am just the middle man and don't have any say in who is printing it.

Farabomb- I know. Pretty ridiculous.

andyfest

Quote from: DHG on January 27, 2012, 12:18:45 PMRunning Nexus 9.0.3. Anyone know how I can open an OPPO file (.opo)? I use InSight to open or edit PSTI files, but that will not allow me to open OPPO files.

Printer is insisting that files I gave them for a previous job were not trapped. The workflow I use for their stuff creates a trapped Artpro file which then among other modules goes through a Print File to Nexus Module where the OPPO file and link are produced. I opened all the Artpro files (in Artpro) and they all have trap. The proofs I made are from the OPPO file and the trap is visible in the proof. I give the printer the Artpro file with mapped tiffs as well as the .opo file and low res link. I don't want to get into a pissing match with the printer. I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before the next round of work comes through that will going to the same printer. This is the only printer I have ever had to supply an OPPO file to.

There's nothing I know of that will open an OPPO file. However, there's no way that a trapped ArtPro file could produce an untrapped OPPO/LR link. You could check it by placing the low-res link (.LR) in a carrier file like Illy, saving an eps and running it thru a workflow that links LR to OPPO and produces 1 bit tifs. Then just check for traps in DotSpy. I've attached an example of a simple test workflow to produce 1 bits.

As an aside, I am strictly doing the prepress on this and I believe that printer is just trying to make my company look bad so they can do the prepress as well. I'm sure nobody has heard that one before..... :banghead:

I attached screen capture of the workflow if that helps. Thanks again in advance.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

andyfest

Ooops got my text and quote all f***ed up. You get the message though, eh?
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DHG

I did thanks. Although, I am not familiar with Dot Spy.

G_Town

Quote from: DHG on January 30, 2012, 07:07:55 AMI did thanks. Although, I am not familiar with Dot Spy.

1-bit tiff viewer.

DHG

Unfortunately I don't have Dotspy. While I am at it though, was looking to see if I did have Dotspy and I see I have Decorate Editor 3.0. What the H is Decorate Editor?