Preps 5.3 files are trapping when registered into Rampage 10.5

Started by Lumpy, March 06, 2012, 05:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Hey everybody,
I have a buddy who works at a print shop and he is ripping PDFs then dropping the fops into his Preps job. He then prints the impo file which, btw is saving out of Preps with an .eps suffix not .sig. When the impo file gets done ripping it is applying unneccesary trapping. Is there a way in Preps to change the suffix to .sig not .eps? If doing this do you think that might solve the problem? I've been out of work for a couple months now so the old prepress noodle is getting a little fuzzy. I appreciate any help we can give him.
Peace,
Lumpy
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

Joe

Preps doesn't do any trapping so his workflow must be doing it.

On Preps output it uses a .ps extension for postscript or .pdf if you are outputting an imposed PDF. I don't see any options for .eps or .sig but you can always change it just by typing .sig when you make the file. The file extension will not affect trapping though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Stiv

They need to drop the impo files through a no-trap RIP profile.

Ear

Right, Joe.

If he is using low res FPO in preps, he should be printing a .ps back to the workflow where it will send the hi res files to plate, along with the marks. The trapping should be happening independent of Preps. Maybe needs to check his trap settings in the RIP. What workflow is he using?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Lumpy

Hey Joe, yeah I felt the flie extension wouldn't affect it.
Hey Stiv, he's claiming his impo profile isn't trapping. On a side note, he has Presswise and everything works fine running thru that.
Hey Ear, I believe he said ROOM workflow. BTW, Hapy belated B-Day again.

Ear

Thanks meng!

Ya... ROOM... something in the workflow is trapping it, before it gets to preps. There's no way preps, using a low res placement file, will be able to affect the actual work... only its position and press sheet marks. Maybe it's an overprint problem, not trapping. Are we talking a small, consistent .004 trap or is there some whacked object with 1/4" overlap?

Either way, I doubt it is the fault of Preps.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

At home now... but in Rampage you create an impo queue. In that queue, turn trap off. I'll post a screen shot tomorrow sometime.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 06, 2012, 08:52:15 PMAt home now... but in Rampage you create an impo queue. In that queue, turn trap off. I'll post a screen shot tomorrow sometime.
Exactly.

But is it - "Hey Stiv, he's claiming his impo profile isn't trapping.", or "When the impo file gets done ripping it is applying unneccesary trapping."

I hope he'll figure it out soon enough.

Edit: Rampage 10.5? Does that version even have a PDF RIP profile?

Lumpy

Quote from: Stiv on March 07, 2012, 06:15:15 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on March 06, 2012, 08:52:15 PMAt home now... but in Rampage you create an impo queue. In that queue, turn trap off. I'll post a screen shot tomorrow sometime.
Exactly.

But is it - "Hey Stiv, he's claiming his impo profile isn't trapping.", or "When the impo file gets done ripping it is applying unneccesary trapping."

Yep, it has a PDF rip profile.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Lumpy on March 07, 2012, 08:12:21 AM
Quote from: Stiv on March 07, 2012, 06:15:15 AM
Exactly.

Yep, it has a PDF rip profile.
Yes, it does, but it doesn't work that great. I run my pdfs through the eps profile - works better, especially with transparency and drop shadows.

Here's that screen shot I promised:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

OK, so the only thing that I can come up with is that the PDFs are already trapped.

Can you see what the original PDF was created from? We have a client that pre-traps their PDFs so all we do is RIP w/out trapping. There is a small icon in the corner of the PDF when it is opened.

I am at a loss to where else the extra trapping is coming from.

DigiCorn

If it was trapped with Heidelberg's SignaStation trapping software, you won't be able to utilize or edit the traps without a license from Heidelberg, which does indicate a trapped pdf with a little icon on the pdf when viewing. You would have to have the customer remove it and send you a clean pdf and you trap it yourself. I can't imagine it would run through Rampage properly as-is, even if you removed the trap engine as part of your Rampage profile.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Lumpy

Hey Stiv,
The PDFs from the customer are being ripped without trapping. Would it be possible for everyone to post screenshots of their ripping profiles for the PDFs and also the profile for ripping the sigs, mainly the area that shows the destination folder path name? The reason I'm asking this is I went to his shop and they have Rampage setup to send the files  to " \ NO WHERE ". That is the actual path. I checked, and there is no folder titled, "NO WHERE". Shouldn't these be going to the RSI VOL?

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Lumpy