xx
Plate Processors
by Possum
August 17, 2017, 09:57:58 AM

xx
press calibration
by pspdfppdfxhd
August 16, 2017, 08:13:39 AM

Topic: Creep and background Image spreads (Read 477 times) previous topic - next topic

• Joe
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
  • Master of Nothing
Re: Creep and background Image spreads
Reply #15
Just saw this on the EFI website:

"EFI Metrix Planning and Imposition Software"

If it is using Metrix I do not think it has that option as Metrix says:

"The user also has the ability to select individual pages and manually set
the creep to any value. This is particularly useful for dealing with page
spreads where the shingling should be set to zero."

Which is the way we always did it before we had the scale creep option.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• frailer
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sydney, OZ.
Reply #16
Metrix, I believe, is the product that the Aussie guy who was behind the original PREPS, developed, after his statutory absence after the sell-off. to Big Red/Yellow.

On scaled creep adjustment..I regard it as Secret Lodge Business; not to be discussed with/in front of clients. If they've been told the page has been 'morphed', they'll get nervy. Even if there's no way they'd ever otherwise notice.
Magicians' tricks.
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/Luxel V6 violet 'setter. 28" Komoris   |    Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

• Farabomb
  • [*][*][*]
  • #NoLivesMatter
Reply #17
What they don't know, won't hurt them.

I do understand the FDA thing though. The place we used to do financial covers for was so scared of doing anything at all to files. None of the files were created correctly, ever. Every problem, these files had them. I explained how you can easily fix the issues and they would likely not notice but no, it was an endless circle of kicking back files, getting shit again, lather, rinse repeat. This also didn't change the due date. I was stuck for countless hours on OT while they sorted it. Now, it's fix it and get it out.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

It's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         --Benjamin Franklin

My other job

• mattbeals
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Just a dude
Reply #18
Has anyone here used EFI Planner? I'm curious if there is even a way to do it in there.

Not me...and I've never seen it discussed here but maybe a lurker will pipe up and give you some info.
Someone call my name?

Not sure how much I can say about Metrix/Monarch/EFI Planner here but I will say that Metrix can scale or move. If you contact your local EFI rep I'm sure all the info you need can be given.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

• frailer
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
  • Sydney, OZ.
Reply #19
Nearly f**ked up, well, coulda made life unnecessarily difficult, at least.

We'd had to change a job impo from 16pp sections to 'double 8s', as the folder was on the blink, and couldn't fold the 16pp sheet. So the double 8s got cut down so he *could* fold them.. when I'd copied the job, which XMF allows you to do, (it's repeat impo. on a theatre program..different content each time).. it looked to me like a 16, of course.

Fortunately press guy decides to put 2 proofs together and start mentally backing them up... says "this isn't a normal 16". (The folder is now fixed and can handle 16s.)
I thanked him again this morning.

Part 2 ;D   ...so, they're now nervous, and going over stuff on the press console with a magnifier. Production guy comes in.. 'Not sure what's going on with this...page sizes all over the place... ".
Me; "Um that's Creep Compensation.. pages are being shrunk in".

We must have done about 40 of thses with such Creep Comp. before...   :rotf:

Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/Luxel V6 violet 'setter. 28" Komoris   |    Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

• StudioMonkey
  • [*][*][*][*]
  • Mostly Harmless
Reply #20
If you don't have access to software like PREPS (I don't) it is perfectly possible to do creep by hand.  I work out the total creep required and divide by the number of sheets (not pages).  Then I place the booklet as PDFs in printers pairs in InDesign and set guides on the outside edge of the page that move out / in slightly for each sheet.  Last simply dispro the PDF on each page to the new guide and you have your creep.  
You can start at the centre spread and move in less and less as you go towards the outside spread, or start halfway and move the outside half out and the inside half in.
It can take a while but it's better than explaining to the designer about extra bleed and moving things away from the edges and waiting for new artwork.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana