5k Retina iMac

Started by Joe, February 28, 2017, 01:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Sooooooo....did you know your iMac isn't actually running at 5K out of the box? The default resolution is 2560 x 1440. If you want to run it at the 5k resolution open your System Preferences > Display. Hold down the 'Option' key on your keyboard and then click the 'Scaled' radio button. So will now actually see the actual resolutions you can run. Click on the 5120 x 2880. Hold on to your hat and grab a pair of binoculars. You will need them to see anything. :rotf:

We have ran into an issue display or Kodak Insite pages in Preview which is a little app within Insite. The pages are really blurry at the 5k Retina display default resolution of 2560 x 1440. But if you switch to 5120 x 2880 they are crystal clear. However I do not know how anyone would ever be able to work at that resolution. This is what the screen looks like at 5120 x 2880.

Here is a screen grab of my whole screen. It is only linked instead of displayed here because the crazy screen shot is 20.5 MB!

5120x2880 Desktop Image
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

micro icons, all the cool kids are doing it.

:zounds:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

johnny_jay

Holy cow, that is tiny. That would help my sis in law though, she keeps 200+ documents on her desktop.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Joe

Quote from: johnny_jay on February 28, 2017, 02:38:45 PMHoly cow, that is tiny. That would help my sis in law though, she keeps 200+ documents on her desktop.

She could easily get about 20,000 on there now. :sarcasm:

Tracy

wow! That's amazing
It would be more amazing if it was useful!

Joe

Someone could get rich if they would write a utility that would smoothly scale icons, text and menus to a useable size at that resolution. I can do it for icons using the Finder "View" options but I've not found a way to change text and menus within applications.

Apple is charging big bucks for the 4k and 5k option that basically can't be used at those native resolutions.

Farabomb

I saw 5k iMac and thought that's about the going rate for an Apple product.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Nate

Quote from: Joe on February 28, 2017, 01:24:33 PMSooooooo....did you know your iMac isn't actually running at 5K out of the box? The default resolution is 2560 x 1440. [...] We have ran into an issue display or Kodak Insite pages in Preview which is a little app within Insite. The pages are really blurry at the 5k Retina display default resolution of 2560 x 1440. [...]
It's definitely running at 5K out of the box, but everything is being rendered at twice the normal resolution so that it appears the same size as it would on a 2560 x 1440 display.

The problem is just that Insite (along with XMF and I assume most other workflows) doesn't support HiDPI mode like the rest of the OS. In these instances, Apple simply pixel doubles the application windows to keep them the same size as the rest of the OS--hence your blurry Insite previews. That said, all of the Creative Suite supports HiDPI mode, so you should see a big difference over the older iMacs when working there.

Maybe if vendors notice enough clients running on 5k iMacs they'll decide it's worth supporting, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Joe

Yeah the secret is the software has to be written to support HiDPI. If you do change your resolution to 5120 x 2880 Insite looks great.

Below (left) @ 2560 x 1440 compared to (right) @ 5120 x 2880.

Edit: the one on the right actually looks better than the screen grab. :huh:

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Ear

I hate having to keep the pedal to the metal all day... cuts into my b4p time sumthin fierce
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

We have more work than we can handle right now and a new (to us) press going in around July.

frailer

Same here... world's gone mad. No Emma Peel for this Steed here... now. :-\

Speaking of whom, she starts her 1 week's Equios training today. Am sure I'll hear about it.

Got a feeling she's gonna miss some XMF features; it'll be interesting.I think she was on shpilkes when they showed her around..didn't get to ask if they use PitStop Pro. Surely...

.. the fact that I borrowed this image from an obit. on Patrick Macnee, the actor who played Steed, dead at 93 2 years ago, did nothing to make me feel any younger on a Monday.   :git off mah lawn:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.