Split already imposed book to single pages

Started by Diddler, April 27, 2017, 09:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I wonder how many total pages there are. Being perfect bound I would guess quite a few so doing it in InDesign would work but might be very time consuming. Split pages in Pitstop might work to split the flats in half where they are head to head and then split them again where the spreads fold but then you are going to end up with pages that aren't centered and not rotated correctly so then those all have to be fixed manually as well. I still think I would just do it InDesign. There should be page trim marks on the flats so positioning shouldn't be hard. At least then you will get pages sized and rotated correctly. I would shoot them a high hourly price to do it and then sit back and take your time.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on May 04, 2017, 06:51:52 AMI wonder how many total pages there are. Being perfect bound I would guess quite a few so doing it in InDesign would work but might be very time consuming. Split pages in Pitstop might work to split the flats in half where they are head to head and then split them again where the spreads fold but then you are going to end up with pages that aren't centered and not rotated correctly so then those all have to be fixed manually as well. I still think I would just do it InDesign. There should be page trim marks on the flats so positioning shouldn't be hard. At least then you will get pages sized and rotated correctly. I would shoot them a high hourly price to do it and then sit back and take your time.

That is what we do if it gets large. I can quickly fix a smaller book (32 page) in about 5 minutes or so. Just set the indesign document with 32 pages with facing pages. Add all pages and just quickly centre on each page. Export as PDF single pages and you are set to go. A lot of times you just need to tell the designer how to send it in properly, if they do not seem to care letting them know there is an additional setup charge now for files not print ready usually wakes them up, especially considering it is one box to check when exporting as PDF.

Farabomb

You assume they know what the output options mean.

I love it when I get every singe mark avilable... all .0023 from the trim.  :shoots_self:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

Quote from: Farabomb on May 04, 2017, 10:04:19 AMYou assume they know what the output options mean.

I love it when I get every singe mark avilable... all .0023 from the trim.  :shoots_self:

I swear designers think it makes them look more professional and knowledgeable if they check everything.

DigiCorn

Quote from: StudioMonkey on May 04, 2017, 04:03:10 AMIf these are the only files the client has, this is due to one of two reasons;
1) these are the only files supplied to the client by the designer
2) these are the first files they find and they can't be arsed to look properly

1) raises a question - why would the designer supply the client with imposed files?  Unless of course they got all the job files, which leads us back to 2)

BTW I would crop the pages down to single pages and reimpose in InDesign
Yeah - set up the new size individual pages in spreads (facing pages) and use the multipage import pdf script. You will have to fix the OFC and OBC manually, but as long as the original document is reader spreads and not printer spreads it should work like a charm and be finished very quickly. Bleed could be a bit trickier though, depending on the bleed.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 04, 2017, 12:52:48 PM
Quote from: StudioMonkey on May 04, 2017, 04:03:10 AMIf these are the only files the client has, this is due to one of two reasons;

1) raises a question - why would the designer supply the client with imposed files?  Unless of course they got all the job files, which leads us back to 2)

Yeah - set up the new size individual pages in spreads (facing pages) and use the multipage import pdf script. You will have to fix the OFC and OBC manually, but as long as the original document is reader spreads and not printer spreads it should work like a charm and be finished very quickly. Bleed could be a bit trickier though, depending on the bleed.

It is 4 page flats where the two individual spreads are printer spreads.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on May 04, 2017, 12:54:30 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on May 04, 2017, 12:52:48 PM

It is 4 page flats where the two individual spreads are printer spreads.
bogus!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Diddler

Thanks for the input folks. But I think this 104pp book can't be done. Yes i have tried to go down the pitstop path but things got messy. The Indesign option was the easiest but after doing 28pp as a test the line ups just weren't close enough. It has hairline rules going across pages all the way through the book. I'm going to admit defeat on this one, I just don't have the time/days available to get this to work.

Oh and BTW on the side of the imposed PDF is another print companies logo. 

Now time to tell the Sales Rep. 
Which I know the answer again will be "just make it work" 
:facepalm:
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Joe

Hey can you send me one of the PDF flats to test something? I have an idea with a new feature in Pitstop 2017. Just send a link to joe at b4print dot com if possible.

Diddler

Quote from: Joe on May 04, 2017, 07:21:26 PMHey can you send me one of the PDF flats to test something? I have an idea with a new feature in Pitstop 2017. Just send a link to joe at b4print dot com if possible.
Done 
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

StudioMonkey

Quote from: Diddler on May 04, 2017, 07:07:10 PMThanks for the input folks. But I think this 104pp book can't be done. Yes i have tried to go down the pitstop path but things got messy. The Indesign option was the easiest but after doing 28pp as a test the line ups just weren't close enough. It has hairline rules going across pages all the way through the book. I'm going to admit defeat on this one, I just don't have the time/days available to get this to work.

Oh and BTW on the side of the imposed PDF is another print companies logo.

Now time to tell the Sales Rep.
Which I know the answer again will be "just make it work"
:facepalm:
Find them. Call them up.  They may be OK sending you the original files or PDFs.  Even for a small fee, its better than you wasting your time.  And it makes the job doable.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Joe

The other printer probably got stiffed. Would we do that if another printer called up asking for the files? Not on your life.

Farabomb

We'd give up the files.

For the full cost of the job plus an added asshole fee.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on May 05, 2017, 07:28:31 AMWe'd give up the files.

For the full cost of the job plus an added asshole fee.

Well yeah...we're stubborn but not stupid. :rotf:

Farabomb

Prepress may not be stupid but I'm not sure about upper management.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job