Electronic Proofing system - NFG!

Started by andyfest, May 09, 2017, 01:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

So the company went out and bought our plant a new Guardian OLP electronic proofing system for about CAD $50,000. The idea was that our QC dept would take client supplied pdf file originals and use them to compare to our fully imposed Epson press proofs to ensure content was identical in all positions and eliminate human error. Well, it turns out that QC/OLP can't read the client supplied files properly, so QC suggested that the CSRs continue to proof read one position only (human error is still part of the equation), and then QC would use a prepress prep'd pdf to ensure the imposition was correct. Now QC is telling us that OLP can't find the die line on certain jobs so they can't proof the imposition data. Good investment, my ass.....
:wtf:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

I love when some slick salesman comes in and feeds them a line of shit. Happened at the old shop with a copydot machine. They swore it would convert all our film over to digital, it had OCR, you can edit the files...

Turns out it was a bitch just to set up the film, the files weren't easily editable as they were big pictures (they sold us on easy text edits) and you couldn't search them. When the salesman came for his follow up (aka: the last time you ever see the slimy fuckers) he didn't leave the boss's office for a hour and a half. After he was done he was almost dragged into prepress and the boss said something like "get this out of here", just with many more 4 letter words.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Oh man, I remember being pitched the ol copydot scanner.   :hangme:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Years ago we had a Heidelberg Topaz scanner that instead of copydot it descreened the film. We scanned the seps as Scitex CT files and opened them in Photoshop and registered the separations by hand and then we combined the separations into a 4 color file. Worked great. This was on national magazines like Woman's Day, McCalls, Good Housekeeping, and Cosmopolitan with a lot of high end national ads.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

I just didn't want to be the hapless sap that had to scan all the flats that I already stripped and plated and matchprinted and bluelined. 

:shoots_self: 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Ear on May 12, 2017, 05:01:48 PMI just didn't want to be the hapless sap that had to scan all the flats that I already stripped and plated and matchprinted and bluelined.

:shoots_self:

This was back in the good old days when we had a whole department of prepress people. Like 60 of us.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on May 12, 2017, 04:57:39 PMYears ago we had a Heidelberg Topaz scanner that instead of copydot it descreened the film. We scanned the seps as Scitex CT files and opened them in Photoshop and registered the separations by hand and then we combined the separations into a 4 color file. Worked great. This was on national magazines like Woman's Day, McCalls, Good Housekeeping, and Cosmopolitan with a lot of high end national ads.
You just reminded me of a 'research' exercise I went through, looking at the transition from film to digital. Similar system from Eskofot, from memory.

Little did I realise that the transition needed to be swift, and 'legacy' stuff needed to be dealt with differently.

OTOH, we seem to go back to old stuff rarely now anyway. I have countless hours of burned DVDs, (my hours on a Friday afternoon, in Burn and indexing in CD Finder), staring down at my bench, laughing at me. Nothing paranoid about me. Nothing.

I've accessed these about 3 times in 3 years. :banghead:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.